• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Washington State Hawk (1 Viewer)

sirijay

I took this photo of a hawk a few days ago bear Seattle at an NWR. The bird would not turn around, so this is the only view I had.
Wondering whether it is possible to ID. Thanks. Washington State Hawk.jpg

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
Note the transition from black to chocolate brown....Nice shot. I just saw this exact same pose from a hawk here in New Jersey! ...

sirijay

Thank you all.
When I took this shot it was misty and a bit surreal - almost looked like it was covered in black and white cotton balls.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! šŸ˜Ž
Europe
Thank you all.
When I took this shot it was misty and a bit surreal - almost looked like it was covered in black and white cotton balls.
Really a great shot - very frosty looking plumage blending perfectly with winter trees!

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Ditto to Red-shouldered Hawk; presumably the California subspecies Buteo lineatus elegans. Must be a good record for the Seattle area - well worth reporting.

birdmeister

United States
Ditto to Red-shouldered Hawk; presumably the California subspecies Buteo lineatus elegans. Must be a good record for the Seattle area - well worth reporting.
Indeed! It appears that, on eBird, fewer than 10 were reported in WA State north of the Columbia River. The majority were immatures, too. Definitely worth entering to eBird, and if not eBird then certainly worth reporting to someone.

Welsh Peregrine

I know that many States have various state emblems; fish, bird, fossil, etc; I was hoping this might be the first State Hawk that Iā€™d heard of! And yes, nice shot of a Red-shouldered Hawk.

Users who are viewing this thread