• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp Challenge ID? (Ketton, Rutland) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

I saw a couple of Ectemnius wasps on the edge of woodland, at a Ketton NNR. Much of which is
old quarry workings.

I know these are not easy to identify from photographs but one of them in particular stood out
with a wide black band across the abdomen. I think the first two pics might be Ectemnius rubicola.

The third one, I am not sure of at all.

Could someone please take a look and advise me?

Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• Pic9.jpg
    Pic9.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Pic9a.jpg
    Pic9a.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Pic9b.jpg
    Pic9b.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 9
1+2 are E. continuus or rubicola. Why do you think latter? cant see any key features?
It was more to do with size really. They were almost constantly on the move in low vegetation. And what atruck me was the fact that they were much smaller than I was "expecting". I remember thinking that I was photographing "minature wasps" - difficult to explain.

It was more to do with size really. They were almost constantly on the move in low vegetation. And what atruck me was the fact that they were much smaller than I was "expecting". I remember thinking that I was photographing "minature wasps" - difficult to explain.
well rubicola is on average smaller than continuus, but they overlap, males in particular can be small. Separating features not visible to me on my screen. Couldn't be certain what sex it is, which is a necessary starting point. rubicola is much less common than continuus but not rare so certainly possible.

well rubicola is on average smaller than continuus, but they overlap, males in particular can be small. Separating features not visible to me on my screen. Couldn't be certain what sex it is, which is a necessary starting point. rubicola is much less common than continuus but not rare so certainly possible.
Thanks for your input, I expected species identification was going to be near impossible. G

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back