• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water birds, Rajasthan India (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Another two dubious photos (there's always a chance that there's some clinching ID feature I don't know about ;) ) from Jodhpur, India in April 2011, in the vicinity of Mernagarh Fort.

1. No clue, Indian Spot-Billed Duck perhaps? Appreciate this may be un-IDable
2. I have this down as Pheasant-Tailed Jacana in my records, but I'm strongly doubting it now... Cotton Pygmy Goose perhaps?

Attachments

• DSCF2402.jpg
    DSCF2402.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF2405.jpg
    DSCF2405.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
The photos are heavily cropped, so I can only make them larger artificially. See attached

Attachments

• DSCF2402.jpg
    DSCF2402.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF2405.jpg
    DSCF2405.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 46
That was my immediate thought. Second might be immature pheasant-tailed. Some plumage details look a little off but difficult to be sure given image.

My impression for #1 was also Wigeon but I'm not sure. I think this is unidentifiable, I'm afraid.
I don't think #2 is a Jacana. The structure looks rather like a Moorhen to me, but again I don't think you can say for sure what this is from the photo.

From eBird data, the rails expected in the area would be common coot, common moorhen, grey-headed swamphen and white-breasted waterhen. I'm struggling to see Bird 1 as either Coot or Moorhen personally; I'm not at all familiar with the swamphen, but I can't find any pictures with plumage like this. Waterhen looks to be the closest match to me, but I'm struggling to resolve that as well if I'm honest! Might have to stay as a ???

Here's the wider photo if it helps, with size comparison to a couple of red-wattled lapwings and a little cormorant. A little on the large side for moorhen too I think?

Attachments

• DSCF2405_2.jpg
    DSCF2405_2.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back