• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

~~waves~~ from Perth, Australia (1 Viewer)

Gemfyre

Hiya. I've recently been bitten by the birding bug and become positively rabid. I try to get out at least 3 times a week and sometimes I will do multiple "venues" in one day.

On the summer break my b/f and I drove over the Nullabor to Adelaide and I became keen on watching birds. Eventually I got so annoyed at not being able to ID half the birds because I'm used to W.A. birds, that I dashed out and bought a field guide.

When I got home I wrote out my life list and was amazed at how long it is (and it's always growing!)

I live right near two lakes which are awesome sites for birding. One of them, Herdsman Lake is apparently the largest wetland in an urban area in the world!

I usually get 20/30 species every time I visit a waterway.

Nancy

Hello Gemfyre from Melbourne, you lucky dog living near Herdsman Lake, I've heard about that. You should tell people what the "Nullabor" is, most people on the Forum wont know what it is. Did you see the Nullabor Quail Thrush? I have tried for that twice and missed out.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Gemfyre

Saw loads of LBJs on the Nullabor (looooooong stretch of "treeless plain" in the middle south of Australia for those who don't know). Seeing as we were driving along at an average 120k an hour about all I could ID were the ravens and wedgetailed eagles.

cuckooroller

Nancy,
I beg your pardon! Do you take us for total nincompoops here. Everybody in Creation knows that well-known center of Australian culture - Coober Pedy!!

Gemfyre, Welcome to BF. As you can see, we're all of bunch of jokers here. Enjoy it and there are a lot of us that know something, and more than something about Oz birds.

3:)

IanF

Hi Gemfyre,

I know you have been welcomed elsewhere, but again, on behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I hope that you like the site. It's the eprfect place for birders to hang out and to share their photos in the Gallery and Database and even on the Forums.

I look forward to viewing your posts and photos.

See you around.

Users who are viewing this thread