• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

weaknesses of the swaro EL 8x32 (1 Viewer)

308CAL

At the clearance pricing of 1200-1300 for a new one, i am fighting hard ot hold out for the swarovision EL 8x32 but seriously question spending 1000 more for ???
a flat field>?

besides CA, which doesnt boither me since I hunt, what else wil lthe swarovsion have on the old EL?

I saw longer eye relief but i dont wear glasses.

1 oz lighter

what were the criticisms of the el 8x32

flat field and sharp in the entire field ; when you get used to it , you never want something else :eat:

No more blurred edges !!o:D

And that eye relief ; maybe later you need glasses :t:

At the clearance pricing of 1200-1300 for a new one, i am fighting hard ot hold out for the swarovision EL 8x32 but seriously question spending 1000 more for ???
a flat field>?

besides CA, which doesnt boither me since I hunt, what else wil lthe swarovsion have on the old EL?

I saw longer eye relief but i dont wear glasses.

1 oz lighter

308CAL,

You're fortunate that CA doesn't bother you, I think the lower CA will be the other big selling point besides the edge-to-edge sharpness.

Some users/reviewers have criticized the baby EL for CA. For example, the allbinos' review lists "significant chromatic aberration at the edge of the field" in their "Cons" list ( though the "Pros" list is much longer):

http://www.allbinos.com/189-binoculars_review-Swarovski_EL_8x32_WB.html

I used the 8x32 EL only briefly on a sunny day. On axis, I didn't see any CA under those conditions, but I can imagine that under high contrast situations, a non-ED bin with 8* FOV will show CA at the edges.

I used the 8x30 SLCneu more extensively, and the CA is well controlled for a bin its size. It has a slightly smaller FOV, so less edges, less noticeable CA, all other things being equal.

What I did have a problem with both Swaros is image blackouts. Both bins have only 15mm ER, so it's not because the ER is too long, but I found that I had to back off from the eyecups to avoid blackouts while panning. So I might need to do that bicycle inner tube modification Renze suggested with the Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt to get my eyes at the right distance. Only problem is that I hate the smell of rubber!

The longer ER spec on the new model might make the blackouts worse, but it depends on how long the eyecups are. For me, eyecups need to be a bit longer than for others for some reason. I had the same issue with the Leupold 6x30 Yosemite - I had to back off from the eyecups to avoid blackouts.

As far whether the SV EL is worth $1,000 more -- it's a personal decision among you, your wallet, and your accountant. If you can afford the new model and it makes you happy, why not? Life's too short not to treat yourself on occassion.

But if you're budget minded like me, the discounted price of the 8x32 EL WB's will be more attractive than edge to edge sharpness and lack of CA of the SV EL model especially since you are not sensitive to CA>

Big409Brock

Last edited:
I hope you can turn up some criticisms, but the thing that strikes me, of all the mentions I've seen of the original 8x32, is it is the best handling binocular ever made. I can believe it, with the slender barrels and wraparound grip.

I only have experience with the original in 8.5x42, so take this with a grain of salt. Indeed it shows blackouts when you look for them, but that seemed to stop after I just started looking at stuff in a natural way. The edge sharpness is so good already that I wouldn't pay a penny for improvement there. I like the pincushion distortion with the resulting absence of rolling ball effect when panning, as opposed to the Swarovisions. CA is present for sure, but a non issue for many users.
Ron

if you have the money,
if you want the best of the best
then wait for the SV EL

but if you are ok with one "almost as good"
and use the 1000 for more trips (birding/hunting)
the old ones are pretty good,
very good for the money

or at least that is my decision,
to keep the old zeiss' and be happy

edj

I have fewer concerns with the 8x32 EL than any other bin currently on the market, but here is my list of weaknesses: could use a bit more eye relief, focus should be faster, focus wheel becomes difficult to turn in cold weather, and the hard plastic rain guard painfully raps me in the teeth if I bring the binoculars too quickly to my face. So far as I know only the first will be remedied by the SV.

Jim

I have fewer concerns with the 8x32 EL than any other bin currently on the market, but here is my list of weaknesses: could use a bit more eye relief, focus should be faster, focus wheel becomes difficult to turn in cold weather, and the hard plastic rain guard painfully raps me in the teeth if I bring the binoculars too quickly to my face. So far as I know only the first will be remedied by the SV.

Jim
Have you considered phoning Swarovski if they have any suggestions for these two problems? Possibly loosening the focus wheel slightly or maybe something else. I don't recall others here reporting this cold weather problem. And how cold does it get when this happens? Haven't they come out with softer rain guards for some other models? Maybe they have a suggestion for yours.

I've no major issues with the current 8x32 ELs, great handling, CA doesn't bother me at all, a bargain at the clearance price

Have you considered phoning Swarovski if they have any suggestions for these two problems? Possibly loosening the focus wheel slightly or maybe something else. I don't recall others here reporting this cold weather problem. And how cold does it get when this happens? Haven't they come out with softer rain guards for some other models? Maybe they have a suggestion for yours.

I seem to recall others reporting similar things regarding cold weather. But to clarify, they're probably better than many bins in cold weather, just not the best, which is what I expect at this price point. I don't recall specific temps.

As for slow focus, I'm referring to the amount of turning you need to do. It's part of the design, so not something that can be fixed with an adjustment. The focus is extremely smooth, it just takes longer than is desirable for birding purposes.

I have not investigated rainguard options, maybe I'll look into it.

JIm

I just received mine in with 2011 serial number.
Brilliant

no blackouts and havent been able to "find" considerable CA...

the most ergonomic bino i have ever held and the easiest to hold with one hand

exceptionally bright in daylight and vivid colors

maybe the 2011 serial numbers have the latest swaro coatings

I just received mine in with 2011 serial number.
Brilliant

no blackouts and havent been able to "find" considerable CA...

the most ergonomic bino i have ever held and the easiest to hold with one hand

exceptionally bright in daylight and vivid colors

maybe the 2011 serial numbers have the latest swaro coatings

Like Dale Forbes said, Swaro continues to update its AR coatings without fanfare, so it wouldn't surprise me if the coatings on the 2011 model are a bit better than previous models.

The ergonomics on the 8x32 EL also worked the best for my hands of any roof I've tried. I generally don't like closed bridge roofs, because I find them uncomfortable to hold, but the open bridge design works well for me and the 8x32 EL is "Top of the Pops" in this category.

I also don't like the compressed view in roofs vis a vis porros. But the the baby EL had pretty good 3-D effect and apparent depth perception, particularly for a midsized roof. So no quibbles there.

The focuser was smooth in both directions, unlike the other Swaros I tried, which focused courser in one direction than the other.

Although I did have issues with blackouts, the eyecups themselves are among the most comfortable I've used.

As far as the "slow focuser" mentioned earlier, I was using the EL to spot hawks and eagles on the other side of the lake. I took a quick look at the woods nearby, but didn't do any close up observing with them, so I couldn't comment on the focuser speed.

Hard to please everybody in that regard. I find the 8x32 HG focuser way too fast for me (like Sherry O. in Jr. High :). While the first gen EL seemed too slow for my typical close-in type of birding.

Glad you're happy with your purchase.

Brock

Last edited:
I really enjoy mine and I think that is what counts, they come across as "a luxury item".
Excellent construction, pretty smooth to focus, excellent views and they are great to use.
I have no doubt the new ones will be better, will they be $1,000.00 better only you can decide.
To complicate your decision, I am sure the older model will be gone before the new one is on sale.
Good luck....might try a glass of warm milk to calm your stomach before making a decision, what ever your decision I don't think you can lose.
Art

I have both the 8x32 EL and the 8.5x42 SV.

First, looking at 8x32s, I consider the non-HD 8x32 Leica UV slightly superior to the EL 8x32 in both CA and focus smoothness (despite the focuser issues in the non-HD 42 and alleged 32 mm models). The diff in CA is extremely small, but there. I try very hard to see CA in the EL 8x32. It's not as hard to find as in an 8x32 SE, for instance, but it's there. I had to try harder with the Leica, even the non-HD model.

Going from the EL to the SV, I have compared back and forth quite a few times. I think the bigger improvement is not in the edge to edge clarity but in the advantage a 42mm objective and 5mm exit pupil brings. I really want the 8x32 to be my "only" bin but the greater versatility of the 8.5x42 format still has me hooked. Additionally, the focuser is significantly smoother in the SV than the EL 8x32 in my copies.

In my view, you can't add another $1000 in value to an 8x32, especially in the increments SV would promise.

focuser is smooth both ways...

could not produce any flare looking into setting sun on or off axis...

compared to my FL 7x42 at dusk and the EL 8x32 hung very close which makes sense when you look at the transmission graph on allbinos...the little EL is above 90% throughout most of the spectrum, not a quick spike or peak like some binos

Sweet spot is typical swarovski, very large, larger than the 7x42 FL

all in all, very impressed and happy to get it on sale

I really enjoy mine and I think that is what counts, they come across as "a luxury item".
Excellent construction, pretty smooth to focus, excellent views and they are great to use.

I agree with all of the above. I've been using my 8x32ELs for seven years without one iota of complaint. IMHO they are ergonomically the finest instrument ever made - for me. I too am unfazed by the (minor) CA and just cannot get them to perform badly under any field conditions. My focusing is smooth as silk in both directions; in all, they are perfect for me in all respects. Why not concentrate on using them for their intended purpose rather than going out and looking for perceived 'problems'? The new SVs will have to be 100% better to get me to part with my originals.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back