• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weaverville, N Carolina USA - wren mocking warbler song? (1 Viewer)

Fandango739

GeoBird
United States
This has bothered me for some time, so I thought I would ask.

In late Spring, I was in North Carolina birding, when I heard a Worm-eating Warbler. According to all the maps that bird is quite possible in the area where I was birding. I took multiple BirdNet samples and they all came back with Worm-eating Warbler. The call repeated multiple times from one tree and I thoroughly searched that tree for about 10 minutes. I really wanted to see that warbler. The only bird in that tree, as best as I could see, was a Carolina Wren.

Is it possible that the wren could have produced a reproduction call, so perfect and consistent that it could have fooled BirdNet?

Thanks!

I am not familiar with BirdNet, but I think it is certainly possible to get a false reading. Merlin sound ID is pretty advanced as far as free softwares go, and it gets confused at times. Worm-eating Warblers can also be tough to pin down and get sight of, however. They are usually found in densely wooded areas with thick understory.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back