Wedge-tailed shearwater (1 Viewer)

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
Had at least 50 wedge-tailed today, feeding over a sea that was boiling with fish. Excellent. Even managed some pictures this time.

More frustratingly there were two other species of tubenose - one a shearwater the same size as the dark phase wedge-tails but with clean white underparts (brown upperparts) and a much smaller paler grey thing that disppeared into a wave trough never to be seen again.

Also Dorado and a few shark.....

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Staff member
Scotland
Julian Bell said:
More frustratingly there were two other species of tubenose - one a shearwater the same size as the dark phase wedge-tails but with clean white underparts (brown upperparts) and a much smaller paler grey thing that disppeared into a wave trough never to be seen again..

The larger of these two birds could have been a pale-phase Wedge-tailed, which do crop up but aren't always illustrated in field guides. I remember getting thrown by these in Mauritius until I looked in Harrison's Seabirds.

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
Andrew Whitehouse said:
The larger of these two birds could have been a pale-phase Wedge-tailed, which do crop up but aren't always illustrated in field guides. I remember getting thrown by these in Mauritius until I looked in Harrison's Seabirds.

Quite possible. Only got distant views but seemed very clean cut and also seemed to have a white face / head. I'll check it out when I get back home - not that I have any real hope of identifying it for sure.

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
Tim Allwood said:
Streaked?

haven't checked but i think i've seen them not a million miles from there

Streaked is the prime suspect.
Currently sat in Dubai airport (8 hours wait....)

Users who are viewing this thread