• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wedge-tailed shearwater (1 Viewer)

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
Had at least 50 wedge-tailed today, feeding over a sea that was boiling with fish. Excellent. Even managed some pictures this time.

More frustratingly there were two other species of tubenose - one a shearwater the same size as the dark phase wedge-tails but with clean white underparts (brown upperparts) and a much smaller paler grey thing that disppeared into a wave trough never to be seen again.

Also Dorado and a few shark.....

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Staff member
Supporter
Scotland
Julian Bell said:
More frustratingly there were two other species of tubenose - one a shearwater the same size as the dark phase wedge-tails but with clean white underparts (brown upperparts) and a much smaller paler grey thing that disppeared into a wave trough never to be seen again..

The larger of these two birds could have been a pale-phase Wedge-tailed, which do crop up but aren't always illustrated in field guides. I remember getting thrown by these in Mauritius until I looked in Harrison's Seabirds.

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
Andrew Whitehouse said:
The larger of these two birds could have been a pale-phase Wedge-tailed, which do crop up but aren't always illustrated in field guides. I remember getting thrown by these in Mauritius until I looked in Harrison's Seabirds.

Quite possible. Only got distant views but seemed very clean cut and also seemed to have a white face / head. I'll check it out when I get back home - not that I have any real hope of identifying it for sure.

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
Tim Allwood said:
Streaked?

haven't checked but i think i've seen them not a million miles from there

Streaked is the prime suspect.
Currently sat in Dubai airport (8 hours wait....)

Users who are viewing this thread