• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welbeck Raptor Viewpoint, Possible Honey Buzzard and Goshawk? (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

Finally got round to heading to Welbeck Raptor Viewpoint today and after watching lots of common buzzards for the majority of the trip, had two very interesting birds turn up in the last hour before I had to leave.

1) This bird circled in at quite a distance, but was very slight feeling compared to all the buzzards I'd been watching, and seemed to have the "flat" glide that's diagnostic for honey buzzard?

2) Apologies for not much to work with here - a bit of a surprise, this very powerful feeling bird burst out of the avenue to the side, flew down it and then swooped over; very hawk feel and behaviour, and seemed very bulky compared to an earlier sparrowhawk? Any chance it's a gos from these poor photos?

Attachments

• honeybuzzard.jpg
    honeybuzzard.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 224
  • goshawk.jpg
    goshawk.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 192
Realistically, I don't think you can do anything with either of these, though FWIW my gut feeling doesn't scream Honey Buzzard or Goshawk.

RB

Images are just not good enough, can't even put down to family.......falcon, harrier or buzzard. As RB said.

Thanks for all the help; looking back through some of the other photos I'd missed a front on one which looks to have wingbars that suggest marsh harrier might be a solid suggestion, but agreed, not enough to clinch anything.

Back to the drawing board for these 2 species again!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back