• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Welcome to the new site! 👋 (1 Viewer)

jhopkins

The site has suddenly changed for me. Previously if I went to a thread that I had been following, it would be greyed out if I was up to date and black bold if there were new posts. Clicking on the title would take me to the first unread post. Suddenly now, regardless of greyed out or bold black, I always go to the first post. I can't go to the first unread one. What has happened?

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
The site has suddenly changed for me. Previously if I went to a thread that I had been following, it would be greyed out if I was up to date and black bold if there were new posts. Clicking on the title would take me to the first unread post. Suddenly now, regardless of greyed out or bold black, I always go to the first post. I can't go to the first unread one. What has happened?
Mine are greyed out if read, and clicking on title does take me to the first unread post. Maybe different browser issue? I'm using Firefox on mobile.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Are you clicking on the actual thread title in the interface you are on or the link to the post itself at the far right on the thread line - clicking on the title I have found takes you to the first post of the thread, clicking on the time link of the latest post, takes you straight to that last post. (I don’t know if I explained that very well).

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
Are you clicking on the actual thread title in the interface you are on or the link to the post itself at the far right on the thread line - clicking on the title I have found takes you to the first post of the thread, clicking on the time link, takes you to the last. (I don’t know if I explained that very well).
I click on the title and it takes me to last unread post.

Ps on mobile, I see no link on far right side

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
I click on the title and it takes me to last unread post
Yes, I just double checked that but isnt that only if you have the default set for ‘unread posts’ only? On the watched threads interface, if you uncheck the ‘unread only’ option, then click on the thread title, it takes you to the first post of the thread so you need to click on the actual post title displayed on the far right side (that has the username and time of the post on it.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Strange, it does for me, in the watched forum, if I have ’unread’ tag unchecked and see all the threads I’m watching, it’s only when I click on the actual post link (with the time on it) rather than the title, I get taken to the last post in the thread. If I click on the thread title in the watched thread interface, it only takes me to the last unread post if there is actually an unread post and I have my default set to ‘unread posts’. Otherwise, clicking on the thread title takes me to the first post of the whole thread.

I’m using safari on an ipad

jhopkins

I was clicking on the actual title of the thread and that has worked until this afternoon. Then all afternoon it was taking me to the first post....but just now, seeing that there was a reply, I clicked on the subject and went straight to the first unread post! And same in other threads too! Weird...some sort of internet mal-function...is that possible?

Jos Stratford

Beast from the East
Strange, it does for me, in the watched forum, if I have ’unread’ tag unchecked and see all the threads I’m watching, it’s only when I click on the actual post link (with the time on it) rather than the title, I get taken to the last post in the thread. If I click on the thread title in the watched thread interface, it only takes me to the last unread post if there is actually an unread post and I have my default set to ‘unread posts’. Otherwise, clicking on the thread title takes me to the first post of the whole thread.

I’m using safari on an ipad
Don't have an answer to that, as I have no idea what a watched thread is 🙂

All works well for me.

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Ok, I just logged in on my mobile (Samsung galaxay on Chrome)

On my mobile, there is no direct link to the unread post if you click on the thread title but once you have clicked on the thread title I then get an option saying ‘jump to’ with further options so it’s slightly different..

It’s all working fine for me on both mobile and Ipad

ps. On the main banner bar there is a ‘watched’ tag - the drop down gives you the option to add individual forums or individual threads to your own interface page and follow them. From there you can set a default to show only watched forums and threads with unread posts in them. Alternatively you can set your default to show all your watched threads and forums (the ones that have unread posts in them will be in bold so it’s quite easy to see at a glance what’s new).

If you have the list in your watched threads interface, set to ‘unread’, clicking on the title of any thread now on view will automatically take you to the first unread post. If you are looking at any threads with read posts (ie with the ‘unread’ option turned off, you need to click on the actual post link to take you to the last page in the thread. Clicking just on the title of thread with no new posts in the ‘watched interface’ seems to take you to page one of the thread.

Jhopkins found that he was only taken to the first unread post in his watched list after a new reply came in. Otherwise clicking on the titles previously just went to the first post of the thread. Which is why, on threads with no reply, you need to click on the post link if you want to go to the last page of the thread.

Admin may have made recent changes to the watched interface - but it all works well afaics

Last edited:

Andy Adcock

England
If you put your cursor over your icon / user name, one of the things you see is a 'reaction score', anyone know what that is?

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
Think it might just be re likes alone, not quotes.

When I first opened the new site there was a notification message about trophies for numbers of likes, but think that may have been turned off as not particularly relevant to our needs 👍

Users who are viewing this thread