• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Welcome to the new site! πŸ‘‹ (1 Viewer)

Essex Tern

πŸ¦†πŸ₯‹πŸƒπŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ“·πŸŽΉπŸŽΈ
Supporter
Europe
Looking nice and modern, glad we haven’t gone the route of half a screen of ads like some forums πŸ‘

Mike C

Emeritus President at Burnage Rugby Club
well, this is different I hope it doesn’t take too long for me to get used to it

Andy Adcock

Deplatformed dissident
England
One question and one comment.

Q. How do you indicate a thread you've read like you could before where it would be shaded out until new posts were made?

Comment: Note sure I'm fond of the 'last seen' function' which basically, allows people to track yor activity, hold your cursor over any user name or avatar andf you'll see what I mean.

I generally like the new look, I wonder if posting pics to OPUS is any easier?!

Doc Duck

Supporter
The new look and new procedures will take some getting used to, but hopefully that's a good thing (helps keep us on our toes). Was easy enough uploading photos today, even with new terms and a new form. I hope people use the settings field. Might be helpful to me as a learning photographer. Now on to next step, getting an overview over comments and catching up with friends' posts.

rkj

I really dislike that I now have to sign-in before I can see full size pictures in the identification forum.

Stonefaction

Stuck in Dundee.....
Scotland
The new look, with drop-down menus has highlighted something I hadn't previously noticed. In the 'Local Patches' section, Scotland and Northern Ireland only have a single section covering the whole country. England is broken down by county as well as having some sub-sections within some county sections. Wales is also broken down into individual counties. I'm curious as to whether there is any particular reason for this disparity in individual national coverage within the UK (historically, and subsequently carried into this new lay-out)?

Also it appears that the individual flags below user's profile pics have now disappeared. This was relatively useful within the ID forum etc when locations weren't specified, and also for ascertaining where English might not be someone's usual language which can and does sometimes lead to misunderstandings.

Overall, it does look 'fresher' and more modern but I haven't had a complete look around to see what else has changed for the better (or worse). The above two points are just initial observations.

Green Fields

Professional Bug Remover
Staff member
United Kingdom
Also it appears that the individual flags below user's profile pics have now disappeared. This was relatively useful within the ID forum etc when locations weren't specified, and also for ascertaining where English might not be someone's usual language which can and does sometimes lead to misunderstandings.
Unfortunately we weren't able to migrate the flags from the old site. You can choose a flag again by choosing a country in your account details – like I have :)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
The new look, with drop-down menus has highlighted something I hadn't previously noticed. In the 'Local Patches' section, Scotland and Northern Ireland only have a single section covering the whole country. England is broken down by county as well as having some sub-sections within some county sections. Wales is also broken down into individual counties. I'm curious as to whether there is any particular reason for this disparity in individual national coverage within the UK (historically, and subsequently carried into this new lay-out)?

It used to be the case that Scotland was broken down in to regions but there appears to have been some objection to that format, see this thread from 2009

In the future there maybe alternatives to how we currently have the local patches set-up.

cheers,
Andy

Stonefaction

Stuck in Dundee.....
Scotland
It used to be the case that Scotland was broken down in to regions but there appears to have been some objection to that format, see this thread from 2009

In the future there maybe alternatives to how we currently have the local patches set-up.

cheers,
Andy
Thanks for the clarification, Andy. That thread pre-dates the majority (if not all) of my use of the site and I've not missed the lack of county breakdown as most of my birding covers a few areas, rather than just 1 county - I just wondered why it was the case.

Stonefaction

Stuck in Dundee.....
Scotland
Managed to find where to get the flag icon. :)
Can't see where to change the text between my profile photo/username and the flag though (within profile/account areas)......

Green Fields

Professional Bug Remover
Staff member
United Kingdom
I really dislike that I now have to sign-in before I can see full size pictures in the identification forum.
@rkj just to double check I understand, you were already signed in but you were being asked to sign-in a second time? Does it do it every time you try and view a photo?

Stonefaction

Stuck in Dundee.....
Scotland
Name top right ......Account details ...... custom title.
Steve, I'm not seeing that option listed under Account details (or any of the sub-sections) on my page - I've got Username, Email, Email options, Avatar, Date of Birth, Location, Website, Gender, Country, Occupation, About you, Identities (Skype, Facebook, Twitter).

Users who are viewing this thread