• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Welcome to the new site! 👋 (1 Viewer)

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
I know adverts are needed to finance the site but is there a way to remove them from the threads of messages? It seems the second 'message' in a thread is an advert and at least one more further down. Some have a x to close (but not remove) them and some don't.

PeterPS

That sounds very odd – are you able to post a screenshot (or send me one in a PM) of exactly what you're seeing?
It seems that in Seamonkey all posts under an attachment are cut off: I am attaching a screenshot of post#1, there is a blank page below, no other post from that page is displayed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 18.27.10.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 18.27.10.png
    857.6 KB · Views: 13

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
And how do I set which forums I don't want to be displayed? I have looked everywhere I can think of and can't find any way of doing it.

Macswede

Macswede
I think the new site is very impressive. I'm sure there will be teething problems but problems are there to be solved.

opisska

Jan Ebr
Poland
I am already really liking the new system. Yeah, it looks a bit too "modern" and there is a little less text to wasted space ratio than it used to be, but the navigation is so convenient. I especially like the "click on topic in new gives first unread post" so that I don't have to try to hit a little arrow - in general, everything just seems more available and functional. Even more nice is that the page feels much "snappier" in loading.

tenex

reality-based
Antarctica
Is there a reason my profile pic is so blurry/pixelated? It was "normal" in the old forum.
I just went through this. The old site wanted a small jpg and limited the size, so what's there is now too low resolution for the new site which has a recommended minimum size. Use a larger file and then fine-tune what appears in the silly circle when you upload it.

I'm still having some problems myself. I don't see how to reply to multiple messages at once as one could before. And there are WAY too many silly options about following people, being alerted about their reactions to everything under the sun and so on.

Also there's something very wrong with the display of this thread. After Peter's post #65 the rest of the screen is completely blank and my browser's scroll bar shows just a very thin bit as if it's infinitely long.

wonderview

I've been thinking for about a year now that an upgrade and a different look were inevitable, and I wondered how that might affect navigating around the site. I just got on and took a quick look around, and so far it seems pretty straight forward and easy to use. Great job!

tenex

reality-based
Antarctica
A few more small things:
I see no indication how full my mailbox is now.

If I use middle-click to open a thread in a new tab (standard Firefox feature) the page is garbled, with the reply box overlaying the first message and the rest blank and unreadable (just as it is following a message with attachment, as described above). If I right-click and choose "Open in new tab" it loads properly.

The "colored cap-letter" defaults for people with no avatar are ugly and distracting, and it would be nicer to have nothing as before (or maybe a blank grey circle).

I don't like having a blue background on alternate posts, it just makes them harder to read. And sometimes it seems random instead of alternating, as on this page where #23 is blue but #21 is not:
https://www.birdforum.net/threads/an-evaluation-of-the-nl’s-performance-from-poland.396651/page-2#post-4092888

Edit: when I pasted in the above URL it did not convert into a URL. It began "URL unfurl=true", which results in this:

John Cantelo

Naturally, I hate the changes ..... but doesn't everyone when confronted by the unfamiliar? I'm sure I'll soon forget it's been changed at all and learn to appreciate what's new. Whatever my dyspeptic reaction, the underlying truth is that a lot of thought, graft and effort has gone into redrafting & updating the site for which all should rightly be both thankful & grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread