• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Welcome to the new site! πŸ‘‹ (1 Viewer)

rkj

@rkj just to double check I understand, you were already signed in but you were being asked to sign-in a second time? Does it do it every time you try and view a photo?
It used to be that if I was not signed in I could click on a thumbnail and see the full sized picture. Now if I am not signed-in I cannot do that. If I am signed-in I can see the pictures without a problem. I do not want to sign-in if I am not going to comment on a thread; the threads I want to comment on are just a small fraction of the ones I want to look at.

Andy Adcock

England
The look feels somehow basic and cheap. Also, there seems to be too much empty space and too little text.
Agree about the empty space, on the main page, you go so far down and thers is a third if the page empty, looks odd.

Last edited:

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Agree about the empty space, on the main page, you go so far down and thers is a third if the page emty, looks odd.
I'm not seeing empty space.
I can only see about 5 or 6 thread titles on my screen (5.7" full 1080p HD resolution) , and only up to 10 before it wants me to press view more to go to the next batch of thread listing (page).

On the old site I could see ~25 or so from memory on the one page.

Also there are no page numbers top and bottom of the list to navigate by like the old site.

I haven't seen this mentioned so I will pop it in the snags.

Chosun πŸ™†

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
It used to be that if I was not signed in I could click on a thumbnail and see the full sized picture.
Are you sure about that.... I was never able to?

Andy Adcock

England
Morning Ollie,
on the old system, any thread which you'd read. would automatically 'grey out', this doesn't happen anymore so can't tell which threads are read and which have new contributions.

PeterPS

Also there's something very wrong with the display of this thread. After Peter's post #65 the rest of the screen is completely blank and my browser's scroll bar shows just a very thin bit as if it's infinitely long.
That's exactly what I see in Seamonkey when I view a thread in which a post contains an attachment (and my post #65 referred to by tenex has an attachment).
Ollie: any explanation and possible fix?
tenex: what browser are you using? If this problem cannot be fixed you should switch to another browser, such as Chrome.

jhopkins

Morning Ollie,
on the old system, any thread which you'd read. would automatically 'grey out', this doesn't happen anymore so can't tell which threads are read and which have new contributions.
They grey out for me....but only after you refresh the page...but it was always like that. I'm using Chrome if that's relevant.

Andy Adcock

England
They grey out for me....but only after you refresh the page...but it was always like that. I'm using Chrome if that's relevant.
Thanks Jeff,
I'm using Firefox, can no longer double click on forums to indicate they're read or as mentioned, individual threads are not distinguishable as read.

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I take the Support BirdForum scheme is no more? If so it's a shame I liked supporting every year.

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
OK - I got ya now Andy.

I'm not seeing that on my phone, even in landscape orientation - takes up the full width.

Chosun πŸ™…

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
That’s what I get Andy but it disappears once you open a thread. I assumed the space was to allow for the increase in members list who were on line or maybe it’s for ads. There seems to be a lot of unused space on some of the web pages but it could be that Ollie is still tweeking.

Constable

Call me chemist
This is a nice clean upgrade. The file size limit for uploads to the gallery does not seem to be documented. I could not upload a 2.9 MB file and had to downsize to a poorer quality ca. 900 kB file. What are the size limits (it might have been dimensions rather than absolute size).

Users who are viewing this thread