• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Welcome to the new site! 👋 (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Deplatformed dissident
England
That’s what I get Andy but it disappears once you open a thread. I assumed the space was to allow for the increase in members list who were on line or maybe it’s for ads. There seems to be a lot of unused space on some of the web pages but it could be that Ollie is still tweeking.
The 'who's online', used to be at the bottom with the list of active moderators at the top, I think that was the optimal layout from my persepective, certainly better on the eye than this?

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
Wow, now that I tried the new forum on mobile, I really see how big of an improvement it is. That's like night and day to browse.
Yes it certainly does seem more tablet friendly - I rarely fire a computer up now other than for work, which I think is becoming the way of the world, so it is nice we are moving with the times, certainly does have a nicer feel browsing on my iPad 👍

Xenospiza

Distracted
First impressions (after the initial shock, haha) are mostly positive.
Apparently, posts by "ignored members" are now completely invisible, as are their contributions when quoted.
In the posts, there appears to be a lot less white space, which is an improvement.
A like button in itself is fine by me – it was much requested anyway.
But I am not really a fan of seeing who liked other people's posts. If this happens with controversial entries, I think it could upset some people.

opisska

Jan Ebr
Poland
How did ignoring work before, did t hide the posts somehow? Had no idea that this could be done, maybe it would have changed ... some things :)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
I use an Ipad or phone to access BF most of the time and the whole site is cleaner looking and much easier to navigate on a small screen. The quality of images on my ipad and phone is brilliant, which is great for ID purposes, the formatting functions are really user friendly and pages load incredibly quickly when moving around the site. Even the reviews forum and gallery looks amazing too. Signing in and out is half the time it use to be as is uploading posts to a thread.

This is 100% improvement even though I’m still getting use to the colour interfaces -( I‘m still finding the blues a bit ‘cold’ at the moment and hard on my eyes) - I also miss not having a ‘members viewing this thread’ bar at the bottom of a thread page or seeing at a glance all the members online at the bottom of the forums page and in alphabetical order so it was easy to ‘find’ someone - it was partly that that created a sense of belonging to an online community. But these are silly niggles. People have others. I think we can all agree though that Ollie has done an amazing job rebuilding everything and also migrating all our old files, threads and images over without loosing any of our ‘precious’ cargo!

Essex Tern

🦆🥋🏃🏻‍♂️📷🎹🎸
Supporter
Europe
Liking there changes although I not 100% sure I like being described as a 'well known member'...
😂yes I thought that was a bit dubious too.....Custom title under Account details will sort that for you 👍

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
Liking there changes although I not 100% sure I like being described as a 'well known member'...
I suspect we'll ditch that in due course, the old system had those usertitles as well and we decided against them at an early stage

Nightjar61

David Daniels
United States
I don’t seem to be able to edit my 2020 Year List. There used to be an edit button at the bottom, but all I see now is “You have insufficient privileges to reply here”.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I don’t seem to be able to edit my 2020 Year List. There used to be an edit button at the bottom, but all I see now is “You have insufficient privileges to reply here”.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave
Hi Dave

I think one or two people are having similar issues. Hopefully Ollie can track down what is causing it. Some people have already been sorted. I'm sure it won't be too long.

Andy Adcock

Deplatformed dissident
England

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave
That message usually appears against a forum that requires seperate subscription such as Ruffled Feathers?

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Staff member
Supporter
Wales
Hi Ollie. Tried to add a species to my year list but it’s saying I have “insufficient privileges” to be able to do so. Any ideas.

Rich

Andrea Collins

Beside the Duddon Estuary, Cumbria
England
OK, getting used to it now. Was a bit of a shock to start and I still don't like the circular avatars but I think I've found something suitable in my pics!

Andy Adcock

Deplatformed dissident
England
Would be nice if there were a way to revert to the 'double tap' to show a forum had been read. At the moment, you have to do it within the forum and then, refresh the page for it to be in effect.

I do like by the way, what others seem to dislike in the designation of a members site status e.g 'well known member' though it's the fact that you can put your own designation in it's place, that I like.

tenex

reality-based
Antarctica
Perhaps that falls under the category of - "if you can't say something nice about someone, then ......"
Very funny. Actually I wonder whether a simple Dislike button would usefully avoid a lot of snarky responses to irritating posts.

But I am not really a fan of seeing who liked other people's posts.
Nor am I. It does seem to have become popular, mostly for bad reasons.

How did ignoring work before, did it hide the posts somehow?
Less thoroughly -- you got a message indicating the member had a post there, and you would still see any quotes from it in other posts. I tried it twice, and then decided to rely on self-control.

A number of us are having fun with that already. I don't know why... the old "Regular member" seemed simpler.

Ron Seymour

Bulgaria
If you're seeing this message then you've made it to the new and upgraded BirdForum 🥳

There will inevitably be a few minor teething issues to work through – so we just ask for some patience as we learn what works and what doesn't. If you do find any issues, please create a new thread in the snagging list forum. (This upgrade has kept me pretty busy for the last 24 hours, so we might not be able to fix everything immediately – I need a quick break!)

If you find any neat tips or tricks on the new site, please add them to the tips & tricks thread – I'll try and add some myself as we go.
I cannot navigate the new site!

Users who are viewing this thread