• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Were these Red Necked Avocets?? (1 Viewer)

Gemfyre

Australia
A few mornings ago I went to Bibra Lake and my binoculars weren't powerful enough to allow me to identify a large group of birds feeding on the lake.

They seemed to be black and white and spent most of their time "bottoms up".
They looked vaguely duck'ish and vaguely black-winged stilt'ish.

On further reading I'm thinking they may have been red necked avocets. Can
anyone confirm or deny this for me?

There were many many black-winged stilts around wading. I at first thought that this group of swimming birds may have been them as well. But it just seemed unusual that a large group would be feeding like this while many others just waded as usual. I didn't see any other avocets but I read that they are more likely to swim and feed "bottoms up" like ducks.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back