• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Midlands/Warwickshire local patches. (1 Viewer)

Ironically I'm not the best at identifying water birds, but I've got a photo from Lower Bittell yesterday (in the gloom and rain) that suggests the goosanders have arrived there. I've attached a pic to let you decide for yourselves!

Attachments

• Goosanders.jpg
    Goosanders.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 139
Duck_Pond said:
Ironically I'm not the best at identifying water birds, but I've got a photo from Lower Bittell yesterday (in the gloom and rain) that suggests the goosanders have arrived there. I've attached a pic to let you decide for yourselves!

They look like goosanders to me.

Yep, they're definitely goosanders - popped up there at lunchtime yesterday and got quite a good look at one, as it was fishing closer to the road. There seems to be a fair few of them there too. Maybe a dozen or more.

I also met a couple who own / run the lakes; apparently they're so low in water levels because one of the valves controlling the water has broken and they're waiting for British Waterways to repair it.

The numbers of goosanders at Sandwell Valley fluctuate wildly. A guy there told me he had counted 33 one day, but when we went just before Xmas there was just one pair. Fishermen complain about them! Maybe they fish a pond out and move on?? Charlie.

Reported yesterday in our area :-

The Chiffchaffs previously reported at the Kempsey SW are still there.

Knot still at the Kingsbury Water Park.

Max.

I always go in wellies when going to Brandon Marsh now, as the Steetley (West Marsh) and River Pool Hides are always a bit on the "moist" side to get to! :)

After last night's rain though, you might need waders!

Duck_Pond said:
I always go in wellies when going to Brandon Marsh now, as the Steetley (West Marsh) and River Pool Hides are always a bit on the "moist" side to get to! :)

After last night's rain though, you might need waders!

I was there yesterday and all the hides were accessible - although the path to River Pool hide was very muddy and ended up looking as though it was impassable. I kept going, and the water came to 2" from the top of my wellies so I made the hide in the end.

I was also there on Tuesday and the path to East Marsh Pool hide was flooded at 0930. By 1130 however I was able to make the Baldwin hide - the water level seems to drop very quickly [although the converse is true of course]. Wellies are essential this time of year.

Brandon is always quite wet in places so even in the summer its best to wear decent boots if not wellies. A couple of months ago the paths to the hides were all flooded but i tried to go anyway and the water came over the top of my boots, at this point i just thought what the hell i'm wet anyway and just waded through! The water came up to my waist - and it was hardly worth it as i didn't see any more birds!

Thanks for the info on the Brandon floods.I think I'll wait for a dry spell (if one ever comes).

Reported in our area yesterday :-

Gt. N/Diver,Gt. Skua,2 Med. gulls,and a Marsh Harrier over at Draycote Water.

Slavonian Grebe at Tardebigge Res.

Knot at Kingsbury Water Park.

Bittern at Upton Warren.

Iceland Gull at Bartley Res.

Glaucus Gull at Frankley Res.

Max.

gareth_blockley said:
Brandon is always quite wet in places so even in the summer its best to wear decent boots if not wellies. A couple of months ago the paths to the hides were all flooded but i tried to go anyway and the water came over the top of my boots, at this point i just thought what the hell i'm wet anyway and just waded through! The water came up to my waist - and it was hardly worth it as i didn't see any more birds!

Was there on Friday and did Carlton, Eash Marsh, Baldwin and Wright hides as well as Newlands, New Hare Covert and Grebe Pool wearing canvas trainers, some of the paths were slightly muddy but the water had gone from the paths and i got round quite easily without getting to muddy.

The Onxy trail is always passable (well i've never seen it flooded yet!) so you can see East Marsh Pool from Wright hide, Swallow Pool, Grebe Pool, Newlands, New Hare Covert, Goose Pool all safe in the knowledge your feet will stay dry :)

You could probably do Old hare covert, the woods leading to West Marsh and Steetley hide without getting to muddy as a gravel paths have been layed through here.

River hide is usually the first to get it as it's in a dip and the pool is linked to the River, if it floods further still then East Marsh, Carlton and Baldwin hide can become inaccessible doesn't happen very often, the water level drops very rapidly once the rain stops.

Hi All

I'm sure I heard a Black Redstart singing this morning at about 8.40am as I walked down the high st in Brum past Boots. Sounded like it was on one of the roof tops. Anyone know of any more sightings in town since the one at the car park the other week? Getting very excited!

Kstar

The sun came out yesterday so I popped down to Marsh Lane which is my nearest local patch.Nearly all the Gulls,Geese and Ducks had flown off to the flooded fields near the Hampton in Arden bridge so there was little to see.Also the wind got up and when you opened the windows in some of the hides the blast of cold air that came in nearly took your head off.Not one of the better birding days but it was good to get out.

Seen by others recently in our area :-

Glaucus Gull at Bartley Res.

Garganey at Lower bittell Res.

Red Necked Grebe at Kingsbury Water Park.

White Fronted Goose at Whitacre Heath.

2 Siberian Chiffchaffs at Kempsey SW.

Gt.N/Diver at Draycote Water.

Bittern at Upton Warren.

Max.

Looks like this weekend might actually remain dry! *crosses fingers*

I want to try to get a decent shot of the goosanders at Bittell - hopefully the lakes will start to fill up again soon, if BWW sort the valve out.

Reported yesterday in our area :-

Iceland and 4 Yellow Yellow Legged Gulls at Lea Marston and Coton Lakes.

Yellow Legged Gull and 8 Goosanders at Bartley Res.

Max.

Hi Guys,

had fantastic views of a Bittern at Upton Warren this afternoon - now officially on my list! B :) Other birds on moors pools similar to previous visits, the other highlight was a kingfisher.

Spent the last hour or so of daylight at the flashes, c200 Lapwings, 30 Curlews, 3 Snipe and a Green Sandpiper. A Buzzard sighted in a tree.

Hope everyone else had a good day :)

Kstar

I decided to drop over to Summer Leys NR (Northants) to see if I could
photograph some Tree Sparrows today. The weather was absolutely
horrendous. Black cloud, windy, everything against doing any sort of
photography. I got to talking to the locals and the numbers there are
down by appoximately 75%.

That got me thinking that I hadn't seen any in Warwickshire of late.
Anyway on my way home I had to call into Blooms Garden centre (near
the end of the M45) to get some Koi fish food and some food for my
aquarium. I struck out on some of the food so decided to cut across
country to Church Lawford to go to the Aquarist that is in the Wyvale
garden Centre.

On my way I took a back road that went through a farm (possibly
Rookery Hall) and as I approached the farm a fair number of Finches
took to the air. I parked up by the side of the farm and watched
where they had flown from (hay that had been churned up by tractor
wheels). Soon the Finches came back (about 60 of them). I scanned to
see if any Brambling where amongst them (there weren't any) when all
of a sudden a flock of about 30-40 Tree Sparrows descended down and
landed amongst them. It seemed to spook all the birds as they all
took off.

I sat there for nearly an hour and whilst Tree Sparrows were coming
back down there it was never more than about ten at a time.

I have to admit that this is the largest flock I have seen in Warks
for quite some time.

The O/S co-ordinates are: SP.439.745
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...rchp=newsearch.srf&dn=894&ax=443950&ay=274550

Is this a known flock by any of you guys out there?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back