• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

western France two immature gulls YLG and or Herring ? 06/08/20 (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone
your help pls

is the bird in the foreground a 1cy YLG ?
and are the two in the background 2cy Herring gulls (L. michahellis)

if i reading my P.J. Grant: "Gulls, a guide to identification" correctly the foreground bird's greater coverts lacks the "piano-key' pattern"

these were seen on the estuary of the Vilaine last week
YLG are much less frequent thanHerring gulls though the were adult YLG in the group - red eye ring ....

thanks in advance

for info it was a mixed flock Herring Gull (argenteus) and Lesser Black-backed Gull (graellsii). and at least one 1cy GBB (L. marinus)

Attachments

• YIB.jpg
    YIB.jpg
    886.2 KB · Views: 71
Hello everyone
your help pls

is the bird in the foreground a 1cy YLG ?
and are the two in the background 2cy Herring gulls (L. michahellis)

if i reading my P.J. Grant: "Gulls, a guide to identification" correctly the foreground bird's greater coverts lacks the "piano-key' pattern"

these were seen on the estuary of the Vilaine last week
YLG are much less frequent thanHerring gulls though the were adult YLG in the group - red eye ring ....

thanks in advance

for info it was a mixed flock Herring Gull (argenteus) and Lesser Black-backed Gull (graellsii). and at least one 1cy GBB (L. marinus)

It's worth bearing in mind that the PJ Grant book is now out of date in terms of how we classify some gulls. Herring Gull is now separated from Yellow-legged, so they are L argentatus and L michahellis respectively.

The race of Herring Gull that is most often seen in the more southern latitudes of Western Europe is L argentatus argenteus, with the northern race Larus argentatus argentatus becoming more common here in winter.

Your birds all look like Herring Gulls to me: 1cy (juvenile) front left, 2cy on the right and probably a 3cy to the rear.

The subject bird has shortish wing projection, irregular pale edges to the tertials and scapulars (leaving an 'oak leaf' dark centre to many of the latter) and a fairly slender bill. All of which look better to me for Herring Gull. The greater covert pattern also looks fine to me, though many YLG have a similar pattern.

Last edited:
Juv/immature gull are really not my favourits, but the left hand birds is very dark overall and has a fairly slender bill. Looks like a juvi Lesser Black-backed to me...

Thanks to you both

@Steve

I will update my library :)

@Carery

not my favorites either :)

there was also a "more" easily identifiable immature GBB

thanks again

BM

Attachments

• GBBresizeimage.jpg
    GBBresizeimage.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 18
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back