• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (11 Viewers)

Hi All

Any info on the Blue-winged teal. Not a birdguides or rare bird alert member so usually go into RBA news maps lite that gives you the species and the county then go into birdguides. From here I need to go into the species page and scroll down to the bottom to the last 12 sightings of it. Unfortunely it not on birdguides yet so don't have a clue where it is yet. I missed last winters bird at Gilmourton on it's last day at the site and never managed to get to Bridgend farm pool.|:(|:-C

I lost the nuthatch for about 10 days before it returned yesterday and today to my garden feeders, amazing birds to watch as they are agressive and very skillfull as the hang quite happily upside down.

cheers Andy

Hi

After I asked sbout info on the teal I actually headed down to the haugh as it is my local and to photograph Kingfisher. When I got there I quicky picked up the Spotted redshank and found some of the local birding group who said the B-W-Teal had been seen early morning but they never found it around noon-2. They are great birders and find many grreat birds in the area so when they told me they didn't have I knew my chances were quite low of finding,seeing and photographing it. When we got to the lime walk close to the cabarns pool a dark cloud filled the sky and the rain came down in buckets. We ended up hiding under a tree for about 40minsbaltic(just t-shirts due to warm sun when we left). I gave up knowing it wasen't going to move on very soon and made a mad dash back to the car.

Today though I left early and was down at the Causeway hide for 7:20 where the spotted redshank showed well at the babk of the pool to the left hand side of the hide. Met somebody in there who said his mate had the teal in cabarns again. This was great news so we headed there quickly so there was barely any dog walkers and fishermen as they can flush the birds here. When I got to the gate I noticed a few ducks leaving the pond and heading towards merryton. We scanned the ducks that were still there and was dissapointed by the numbers of teal though a good number of gadwall were present. After a few hours searching we had no views of the bird and realising chances were slim. Unfortunely after 4 hours searching no sign of the teal though a local birder picked out a female garganey as we were leaving which he said got flushed by a family walking near the waters edge. He said it was only when the mum fell in the muck and squealed that the birds flushed. Maybe next time for the teal for me, hopefully it will stat in the area.

cheers andy

Blue winged Teal still present around 6.30 am at Carbarns if I believe Birdguide.

Hi

After I asked sbout info on the teal I actually headed down to the haugh as it is my local and to photograph Kingfisher. When I got there I quicky picked up the Spotted redshank and found some of the local birding group who said the B-W-Teal had been seen early morning but they never found it around noon-2. They are great birders and find many grreat birds in the area so when they told me they didn't have I knew my chances were quite low of finding,seeing and photographing it. When we got to the lime walk close to the cabarns pool a dark cloud filled the sky and the rain came down in buckets. We ended up hiding under a tree for about 40minsbaltic(just t-shirts due to warm sun when we left). I gave up knowing it wasen't going to move on very soon and made a mad dash back to the car.

Today though I left early and was down at the Causeway hide for 7:20 where the spotted redshank showed well at the babk of the pool to the left hand side of the hide. Met somebody in there who said his mate had the teal in cabarns again. This was great news so we headed there quickly so there was barely any dog walkers and fishermen as they can flush the birds here. When I got to the gate I noticed a few ducks leaving the pond and heading towards merryton. We scanned the ducks that were still there and was dissapointed by the numbers of teal though a good number of gadwall were present. After a few hours searching we had no views of the bird and realising chances were slim. Unfortunely after 4 hours searching no sign of the teal though a local birder picked out a female garganey as we were leaving which he said got flushed by a family walking near the waters edge. He said it was only when the mum fell in the muck and squealed that the birds flushed. Maybe next time for the teal for me, hopefully it will stat in the area.

cheers andy

Last edited:
Hi

cheers andy

Hi Andy,

I was at the Haugh on Sunday (wearing cammo gear) but dunno if we spoke. I've heard the BW teal was at the Haugh yesterday, visible from the Phoenix Hide. If it doesn't hang around, its possible it may head to Strathclyde Park.

There's also a pink- footed goose reported at Strathy Park with 8 golden plover at the Raith interchange/ rowing dock end of the loch. The G/plover themselves are well worth a look- I got one in summer plumage last saturday.

Hi

I think I met you whilst I was there as someone told me about the plover in camo gear.
I met someone at the gate into Cabarns when I was leaving and then at the tree that fell into the river as I was trying to photograph the kingfisher.

Hi Andy,

Yep, that sounds like me. Slightly rotund chappy, wading through mud on the way back to the Haugh, in a bit of a rush.

btw. I agree with the point you made that eventually the Clyde will take the rest of the path. I'm waiting for NLC and the RSPB to come up with a plan.

I'll be back on Sunday, although not confident about the teal.

There's been a marsh harrier at Lochwinnoch over the last few days. Anyone here seen it? I'm thinking of taking the train down tomorrow morning to see if it's still around.

I was to late yesterday :( bird was seen yesterday around noon flying very nice infront of the aird meadow. I was at visitor centre around 1.30 pm but I had an possible Hobby flew over the far end of the Barr loch at 11.50 am.
Also at Barr loch yesterday: 13 teal, 5 wigeon, 1 little grebe, Sparrowhawk, 3 Goldeneye, 2 snipe, 2 late segde warblers and other common stuff.

Cheers,
Rik

There's been a marsh harrier at Lochwinnoch over the last few days. Anyone here seen it? I'm thinking of taking the train down tomorrow morning to see if it's still around.

I went today, no luck with the marsh harrier, but I saw a kingfisher flying from Aird Meadow towards Barr Loch. There were still some sedge warblers too, and a raven flew over as well.

There's a talk on tomorrow at 7pm at Lochwinnoch on migration of birds and other animals within Scotland, followed by a guided tour looking for bats, barn owls, swallow roost and otters. £2 for members, £5 for non-members.

I'm going to get the train down straight from work, would be good to meet up with anyone from here if you attend.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/events/details.aspx?id=tcm:9-304437

Last edited:
Hoodie Hybrid

Over the past few weeks i have seen a hybrid hoodie crow one in the fields next to A78 near the waterside resturant, when on Cumbrae a few weeks back (12th August) one in the fields north part of the island and then on thursday on the playing fields at Dirrans Kilwinning.

now it may be same one in which case why is it following me :D or there is an increase in these birds.

nb i missed the tuesday night talk but a meet up may be of interest if i get enough notice...

Not long back from Barons Haugh and it was busy today with birders. Never seen so many folks in the hides with all their gear. Thanks to the guy who let me have a look through his scope to see the green sandpiper. My poor wee bins could make out the shape of something but could not make out what bu the scope was excellent.
Thanks also to the guy who told me about a family of kingfishers and where to look. Got to the spot and about 15 minutes later saw 2 of them the first time I have seen them
What a friendly bunch at the Haugh today

maidens harbour

Quick trip yesterday to maidens really good group of waders at harbour and beach i think dog walkers tendto use grasshere so less disturbance..ringed n golden plovers redshank curlew a whimbrel wheater late swallows usual gulls common herring and a Gbb gull no sign of geese but not bad fot 1/2 hour stop

Yesterday from Hunterston (north Ayrshire):
1 juv female Ruff between Redshanks and 1 Little stint already present since monday.
12 Greenshanks at Fairly bay.
Peregrine present on Saturday and 4 twites present during the week.
Last Saturday a nice group of 36 Ravens flew right above the road between Kilbirnie and Largs. Showing very nice, playing, calling etc.

Hooded crows are quite common around Hunterston. Most of the time I see there 2 Full Hoodies and 3 Hoodie hybrides.

Cheers,
Rik

Last edited:
yesterday

just went around the Irvine Bay area and well chuffed to spot a sanderling amongst GR Plovers at Stevenstoun/Ardeer on slipway nd then onto Irvine Harbour to see lapwings ( only 20+) turnstones (around 30) wigeon cormorants eiders etc and a peregrine falcoln thanks to the guy who spotted this had a nice chat but didn't get your name.

We also spent some time watching the seals sun themselves offshore near the Rowantree and my partner spotted a Sparrowhawk on the fence near the roundabout Saturday evening

not a bad weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back