• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Wisconsin -- Hawk ID's (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

I had ID'd the first bird (photos 1 and 2) as Northern Harrier, but photo 2 doesn't really show the obvious white rump, terrible as the photo is. I remember wondering where the white rump was the whole time in the viewfinder.

Second bird I believe is a Cooper's? Not great with raptors, so checking in with you experts. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9672.JPG
    IMG_9672.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_9677.JPG
    IMG_9677.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9879.JPG
    IMG_9879.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 72
Although I'm not sure on #2, I really think 1 and 3 are Cooper's. Very large heads and little hint of Sharpies' compact flight shape.

Although I'm not sure on #2, I really think 1 and 3 are Cooper's. Very large heads and little hint of Sharpies' compact flight shape.

1 and 2 are the same bird, shots taken about 5 seconds apart.
So you think both might be Cooper's? The head size (and overall size) is what made me think Cooper's at the time of observation. I'll add two other shots of the second bird (photo 3 in original post).

Attachments

• IMG_9880.JPG
    IMG_9880.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9881.JPG
    IMG_9881.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
1 and 2 are the same bird, shots taken about 5 seconds apart.
So you think both might be Cooper's? The head size (and overall size) is what made me think Cooper's at the time of observation. I'll add two other shots of the second bird (photo 3 in original post).

With the additional photos, I believe the pale gray cheeks clinch it as male Cooper's (orange cheeks on female and both Sharp-shinned sexes).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back