• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Wisconsin -- Shorebirds (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

I was at the Fish Lake Wildlife Area in Western Wisconsin on Wednesday Eve (June 3). A nice mudflat area. Also very large so some of these pics are pretty bad. photos 1 and 2 I'm pretty sure are Pectoral Sandpiper. 3 and 4 are pretty bad, but it sure looks like a black stomach. I thought I might be crazy and it was simply a Bobolink, but that doesn't match as well as possible Dunlin or maybe one of the black plovers? Photo 5 is bad, but looks like it's different than either of the other two species, so let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3035.jpg
    IMG_3035.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 80
  • shorebird 2.JPG
    shorebird 2.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 86
  • shorebird.JPG
    shorebird.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 76
First 2 look OK for pecs; 3-4 I think perhaps American golden Plover as I think I can see some brown or golden tones. If not that then Black-bellied (grey) Plover. Last is probably a bird :)... Not sure we can say for sure based on a pic like that

Its a black-bellied plover, white under the tail

Yes I saw and considered that. But the photo's not clear-cut, and AGP can show similar. Note my initial thought was grey plover but then I saw the brownish tones I noted. I'm happy to go with grey plover if that's what the consensus is...

[..but can you ever be really sure with photos like this? ...Can't really judge proportions, leg length etc]

[..but can you ever be really sure with photos like this? ...Can't really judge proportions, leg length etc]

While 100% certainty would be nice, I'm happy with narrowing it down to one of the plovers and ruling out dunlin or other species.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Yes I saw and considered that. But the photo's not clear-cut, and AGP can show similar. Note my initial thought was grey plover but then I saw the brownish tones I noted. I'm happy to go with grey plover if that's what the consensus is...

I did not think that Golden Plover could ever show a full alternate, all black belly with white under tail coverts. This is typically used as an ID feature in my experience. Photo browsing, I don't see any example of this either, but perhaps you know otherwise. If you come across any pictures please share.

I did not think that Golden Plover could ever show a full alternate, all black belly with white under tail coverts. This is typically used as an ID feature in my experience. Photo browsing, I don't see any example of this either, but perhaps you know otherwise. If you come across any pictures please share.

I think the point is that the photo is far from clear. I for one can't be sure exactly what the undertail pattern is on this bird, or the precise extent of black and white on the underparts in general.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back