• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wexford (1 Viewer)

S Crisp

Going to be staying near Tacumshin Reserve next week but not been able to find any information about parking, walking, hides etc. Any help greatfully received.

As is the norm with these requests, I suggest you get Eric Dempsey's book on where to watch, maps, directions, etc.
Note water levels are high, so a different season in store to last year, etc.. Although that can change rather quickly...
Perhaps enough water for a skimmer?

Tacumshin has no hides and there is usually a good bit of walking involved. Currently the water levels are very high, much higher than even in some winters! Not much present yesterday other than a distant harrier (Hen or Monty's).

If the water levels are still as high next week, I would suggest concentrating on the beaches north of Carnsore Point (Nethertown, Churchtown and Carne), as well as Rosslare Backstrand and Wexford Harbour. All of these had good numbers of waders and there is usually a good chance of finding something unusual.

For directions, Erics book is the best (link) as it would take two or three paragraphs to describe directions to Tacumshin alone.

Going to be staying near Tacumshin Reserve next week but not been able to find any information about parking, walking, hides etc. Any help greatfully received.

A google map attached showing the main areas. But best to get Eric Dempseys excellent guide Where to watch birds in Ireland

The east end car park is just the end of a track but offers excellent views and its easy to walk the eastern end of tac to the Forgotten Corner. The east end pool is also best viewed from the car park. There are no hides! Its wild....... As Tony said the water levels are high so you will need wellies and preferably waders to get around. It is worth trying to get out onto the patches as this is where all the american waders hang out. I was there on two days in late August last year and we had Sharp tailed Sandpiper, Buff breasted Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Bairds Sandpiper ,Semipalmated Sandpiper, White rumped Sandpiper Curlew Sandpiper and Little Stint and a nice fly over Pallid Harrier! Its a bit quieter this year. But with the recent spell of westerlies you could be hitting it at the right time, just keep your fingers crossed the water levels drop and bring waders if possible. You dont want to miss out on the 'patches experience'.

When its bad its just like a normal day on your local patch, but when its good, its pretty amazing...........

Best of luck

;)

Attachments

• Tacumshin.jpg
    Tacumshin.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Hi
I was there on wednesday and the water level, as people have said, is pretty high with hardly any waders about (though pec sand was reported today). I couldn't get about with wellies on from the East End carpark, though waders might do it. I'd still go for the day if you havn't been before, just to get the sense of it, birds or not. Bring food & drink and a hat if you can and just soak up the place.
I walked the beach side from the White Hole (see Eric Dempsey's book) up to the main lake. It's a few km but you'll probably see harriers at least. Careful with the road signs - the one outside Tomhoggard should point left to the white hole, but points right!
regards
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back