• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What a Saturday ! (1 Viewer)

rin

Yesterday will go down as one of my most amazing days birding ever.

I doubt that I will ever top this list in one day again.

Jackdaw
Starling
Chaffinch
Blue Tit
Goldcrest
Robing
Bullfinch
Wren
Blackbird
Great Tit
Curlew
Greylag Geese
Crow
Sparrowhawk
Greenfinch
Rock Dove
Oyster Catcher
Pink Footed Geese
Sand Martin
Pheasant
Collared Dove
Pied Wagtail
Skylark
Buzzard
Herring Gull
Turnstone
Shelduck
Great Black Backed Gull
Rock Pipit
Redshank
Purple Sandpiper
Shag
Great Northern Diver
Cormorant
Lapwing
Twite
Goldfinch
Mallard
Meadow Pipit
Kestrel
Common Gull
Fulmar
Peregrine
Eider Duck
Raven
Gulliemot
Razorbill
Swan (flying overhead so not sure which species)

Mute Swan
House Sparrow
Dunnock
Black Headed Gull

Male and Female Northern Wheatear
Golden Eagle
Kite
Mapgie ?
Stonechat

Another mysterious Raptor which I have yet to determine.

"I saw the biggest raptor ever, circling around a hilly area past a forest. It flew over a smaller wooded area and I followed it by road for quite a while. It landed occasionally on the hill not settling for long before taking off again. It seemed to do flips in the sky occasionally, like it was rolling over from the wing 360degrees. Magnificent.

It was huge, it had black wing tips/fingers and appeared to have a grey/white back body, although it was very dark underneath, nothing I have ever seen before...........it was amazing. It was the biggest bird that I have ever seen, even bigger than the Eagle that we saw a bit further on."

Any clues?

A very satisfied birder.

Rin x

Pam_m

Hi Rin,

I can't help you with the raptor, just wanted to say well done with such an excellent bird list. :clap: :clap:

lark o'dell

today the local patch tommrow the world
thats a lot birds there and some lifers for me too. sorry i cant help aswell about the raptor
congrats anyway

kas

Sounds like your day got even better after I left.
Only thing in this country bigger than a goldie is a White Tailed Eagle, but I dont know if it would be so far inland, not sure.
Your Magpie? Was it on the North end of the Strath as you do get a few here.
And where did you get the Kite, I like to think that they are slowly comming North, and in years to come we will see them regularly.

I cant believe you got Wheatears, I havent seen one yet. I went looking up Strathy point after the eggcase hunt but never saw one.

I think I got a Shearwater though although not too sure on ID as it was quite far offshore. I also saw hundrds of Shags in groups off the head.

Hope you have a nice weekend although I think you'll right by saying you wont top that this weekend.
PS Did you see I sussed the Goose calls.

Users who are viewing this thread