• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

What about this bird of prey? (1 Viewer)

aliborb

United Kingdom
Screenshot_20220217-195453.png
Anybody able to say what this might be? Spotted on some farmland near Pagham RSPB around Chichester a few weeks ago. There were two of 'em

Alexander Stöhr

Hello,
welcome to birdforum from me, too!

Do you have more pictures?
First jizz look is: it is either a Sparrowhawk or a Goshawak, but after downloading and enlarging the picture, I realized that heavy artefacts might well changes jizz and features.
I get a strange feeling from the appearant bulb at the forehead and the strong contrasting whitish cheek. But thats the point: what is real and what is an artefact here? If forced, my bet would be on a Sparrowhawk, but with many ??? No offense as always!

I hope for more pictures and comments!

edit: I just realized, that I am surely biased by the post of the bird. Sparrowhawks regularly rests on such buildings like here, Goshawks and Common Buzzards not (rough rule, but so many times true)

tconzemi

Tom
Supporter
Europe
Same impression here: more artefacts than bird, first feeling is Sprawk (colour!) but than, where is the tip of the long tail? And that head and bill look substantial, so gut feeling is now Common Buzzard ... or something else

Attachments

• 7CC856C6-3AF9-4923-8BD7-D955E09DC978.jpeg
    7CC856C6-3AF9-4923-8BD7-D955E09DC978.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 34

aliborb

United Kingdom
I think unfortunately all my photos are basically as poor quality as one another haha. It did seem quite large with a big head

Attachments

• IMG-20220217-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220217-WA0005.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG-20220217-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20220217-WA0005.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-20220217-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220217-WA0004.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 58

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Still thinking it might be Sparrowhawk, in comparison to the I-beam nearby it is quite small. I recently had just such a distant rear view of a perched Sparrowhawk and it caused me to wonder, until it took off and then looked like its normal self :)

dantheman

Bah humbug
I can't get my head around the birds head looking like a cross between a Wood Duck and a Smew (or maybe something else I can't think of right now ... ;-) )

Looking at Tom's altered image in post #3, however the front of the head and top of bill are white and presumably lost in the original. On the basis that it has quite a chunky bill that moves away from Buzzard ... white blotching on back on original also goes ok with Sparrowhawk.

stevethehydra

This bird does look small (could be an illusion from bigger-than-typical roof beams?) but structurally it looks much more like a Buzzard than a Sparrowhawk to me. Wouldn't a Sparrowhawk's tail protrude past the dark part of the roof and be visible in front of the light-coloured beam?

Also given how desaturated the whole photo looks, the colour looks closer to Buzzard brown to me than Sparrowhawk grey...

stevethehydra

I can't get my head around the birds head looking like a cross between a Wood Duck and a Smew (or maybe something else I can't think of right now ... ;-) )
Hooded Merganser with its "hood" down, maybe?

I think it's the light cere blending with the background that gives that impression.

dantheman

Bah humbug
Hooded Merganser with its "hood" down, maybe?

I think it's the light cere blending with the background that gives that impression.
Going that way, but more Chinese Goose type ... think a random bird from my memory as appropriate for some of these id threads as some of the actual birds in them ... ?!?

Not sure if blending or burnt out - or photographic effect, but yes.

Users who are viewing this thread