• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are some 'most species in a day' birding records? (1 Viewer)

aadesh1233

India
I'm just curious for the records as it would be interesting to see the records.

My records are:

Waimakariri District: 36 (Ashley Estuary)
Christchurch City: 39 (Quail Island and Avon-Heathcote Estuary)
Timaru District: 33 (Otipua Wetland and Caroline Bay)
82 birds on my life list since 17 June 2020.
61 birds on my 2021 year list as of 18 January 7:10am.

Why can you seagulls, but you can’t herons?

I had 72 species yesterday in Pennington/Keyhaven Marshes and that could have been a lot more if I had not dipped on many of the common species that I see almost every time like Kestrel, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine, Jay, coal tit, even Wren!

Many people do a "big day" every now and then (especially New Years Day). I have never done that, but I would like to do that some day, really trying to get 100+ or so.

Most lifers in one day was 28 in Ethiopia, birding on foot by myself (no guide)

My personal best is 126 in Norfolk and Suffolk with a few in Cambridgeshire years ago, but the UK record I think is in the 160s?

100 in a day is fairly easy in May and not that difficult on 1 January if you prepare carefully and the weather is kind - though running out of daylight is a risk!

John

My personal best is 126 in Norfolk and Suffolk with a few in Cambridgeshire years ago, but the UK record I think is in the 160s?

100 in a day is fairly easy in May and not that difficult on 1 January if you prepare carefully and the weather is kind - though running out of daylight is a risk!

John
Not in an inland County?

My personal best is 149 in Cheshire as part of a national bird race in May in the early 90's, I think we were joint first with a team from Norfolk. That was the Cheshire day list record for a while.

Last edited:
My best patch day total is 102. Big patch.... I think on foot from the house is 82 in May 2000.

My best Avon day list is 110's in the early 2000's.

I also did a couple in the early 90's with Dorset 130's and East Anglia on a really unsuitable day a slightly higher amount that I cannot remember....

I have had a plan in my head for beating the UK record for over a decade that I have never tried. I may try and put a team together one day. 😀

Anyone who knows the exact total, I would be I interested. I read the Big Bird Race recently having bought it second hand as I have known one of the participants for years.

All the best

Paul

I have had a plan in my head for beating the UK record for over a decade that I have never tried. I may try and put a team together one day. 😀

Anyone who knows the exact total, I would be I interested. I read the Big Bird Race recently having bought it second hand as I have known one of the participants for years.

All the best

Paul
A lot of variables Paul,
you need a good year for 'accessible' vagrants, i.e not all on Unst or similar, I'd enjoy seeing you have a crack at it. What is the current record, Adrian Webb has it or not? Would we get a contemporaneous account or would it be on the 'DL'?

I attempted the 300+ once, just made it with 302 but not sure if people know how draining it is, very tiring.

Go on mate, take a sabbatical, not too late, start with the 'Mocker' :cool:

Kuwait is such a funny destination - it's main draw was definitely being the corner of the traditional WP, meaning that a lot of species could be gotten in WP only there, especially with the conditions in Iraq being what they were - Indian Roller, Afghan Babbler, Red-Wattled Lapwing might be the most prominent ones on top of what was already mentioned, but there were also other such as Hypocolius, Crested Tern, Red-tailed Wheatear, Daurian Shrike etc.. that were just easier than elsewhere and some repeating rarities on top of that. Nowadays if you consider WP including the entire Arabian Peninsula and Iran, it's not that clear cut, but still Kuwait has the advantage of being very easy to travel to.

You need to be in contact with local birders really but certainly not the complexity of some of your foreign trips. For Pygmy Cormorant, I would get a cheap deal into Burgas in Bulgaria and do the Poda Reserve. I've done a couple of Bulgaria spring trips:-

All the best

Paul
Thanks Paul,
Pygmy, winter in Belgrade in their thousands and are almost in the City centre at the confluence of the Danube and Sava rivers. You can view them from some lovely, floating, barge, restaurant bars. I've been a couple of times but never at the right time.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back