• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are some 'most species in a day' birding records? (1 Viewer)

The best I've done in a single day was 170 in Marin Co. California. I'm still looking to improve the route, with correct conditions I should be able to get over 200 in the county.

My personal record is 113 species in a day in Lehigh County, PA. It would have been the county record, but a friend of mine got 117 the next day. He didn't intentionally try to beat me. Just a coincidence.

I don't know what the current PA state Big Day record is, but I know there was a record of 160 species in a day back in the '80s.

The record for the "World Series of Birding" in New Jersey is 232 species seen in the state in a single day.

Think my PB is about 107, ironically from my non-birding years when I made up the numbers in a birding race in Northumberland; the winning team as I recall had 120+. I remember also having a high day list from a visit to Bharatpur in the early 80s, also from my non-birding wilderness years.
I guess the Peru total quoted upthread is probably a world record, but I remember reading a while back about a team in Catalonia who posted a massive 'big day' list, a European record?

I've never done a devoted big day, my record was 104 species on one very good day in the height of spring migration.

The best I've done in a single day was 170 in Marin Co. California. I'm still looking to improve the route, with correct conditions I should be able to get over 200 in the county.
Actually, I forgot about one of the years I've done it. I hit 182 once in Marin.

I managed 101 on a may bird race in Dorset as a teenager in the 1980s, and 170+ in Hong Kong in a year when the winning team made 180+. This year my team managed 145 species.

My current patch at San Tin is an area of fishponds, some tree-lined drainage channels and a small urban park right on the boundary and loomed over by high-rise Shenzen. My record is a tantalising 97 species but the record is 113!

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back