• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are the signs a young house sparrow has imprinted itself on its human caregiver? (1 Viewer)

Ivanamaria

Canada
What are the signs that a young house sparrow, or any young bird for that matter, has imprinted itself on a human caregiver? Not a hatchling just born but a fledgling that I had taken in after noticing she had an injury to one of her wings. In the past two weeks her wing has improved and isn't crooked anymore but she's still not able to fly higher than about five feet. If her wing and flight improves to that of a normal bird how can I tell if she would be able to survive on her own in the wild or if she is already dependent, or has imprinted on humans? Is there some sort of time frame or specific signs to look for that would indicate the bird has imprinted itself on humans and would not survive on their own in the wild? Or signs that she actually would if released? There is surprisingly very little information about this topic online and I appreciate any feedback. Thanks

I don't know what the nature laws are in Canada but here it is illegal to have a wild bird in your possession. I would either take a chance and release it or take it to a wildlife rehabilitator.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

I don't know what the nature laws are in Canada but here it is illegal to have a wild bird in your possession. I would either take a chance and release it or take it to a wildlife rehabilitator.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)
It's not illegal if it a non-native species such as a House Sparrow, though.

Good job for raising her, but I would agree that you should probably give her to a wildlife rehabber. That way, she can either be released when she's ready, or kept as an educational ambassador bird.

House sparrows are indeed not protected in the US. One of the few exceptions.

I have exactly the same question.. ie How do I tell if a bird has imprinted on humans? My case is a feral pigeon chick that someone brought to me. It is starting to fly now so it is a nuisance in the house. I just want a humane outcome. Putting it in a cage is a horrible thing to do to a bird. However releasing it to join the other feral pigeons is cruel if it has no chance of survival. There is no rescue or rehab centre in this country - I guess that is how I got it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back