• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are your 10 favorite binoculars (1 Viewer)

1) Nikon MHG 8x42 roof excellent all rounder that works well with eyeglasses .

2) Nikon E2 8x30 porro .fabulous birding bin with great afov . Not eyeglass friendly for me.

3) Nikon E2 10x35 same as #2

4) Nikon SE 10x42 another excellent porro all rounder .

5) Nikon SE 8x32 speaks for itself .

6) Bushnell Elite Custom Compact 7x26 wonderful and well made compact little porro for day use .

7) Pentax Papilio 8.5x21 Fantastically fun little compact porro for up close viewing . It is always used with a small tripod .

8) Astrophysics (BA8) 15x70 porro strictly for astronomy and always on a monopod.

9) Celestron Regal LX 8x42 nice Japan made roof for the money, a great all rounder . I use this one for festivals , concerts , sporting events and other events where I would worry about taking my better bins .

10)Orion Resolux (BA8) 10x50 IF porro . Strictly for astronomy .

#1 , #7 , #8 and #9 are the binoculars that I presently own .

I started wearing eyeglasses about two years ago and it has changed everything . If I didn't have astigmatism I would probably still have the E2's .

1) Nikon MHG 8x42 roof excellent all rounder that works well with eyeglasses .

2) Nikon E2 8x30 porro .fabulous birding bin with great afov . Not eyeglass friendly for me.

3) Nikon E2 10x35 same as #2

4) Nikon SE 10x42 another excellent porro all rounder .

5) Nikon SE 8x32 speaks for itself .

6) Bushnell Elite Custom Compact 7x26 wonderful and well made compact little porro for day use .

7) Pentax Papilio 8.5x21 Fantastically fun little compact porro for up close viewing . It is always used with a small tripod .

8) Astrophysics (BA8) 15x70 porro strictly for astronomy and always on a monopod.

9) Celestron Regal LX 8x42 nice Japan made roof for the money, a great all rounder . I use this one for festivals , concerts , sporting events and other events where I would worry about taking my better bins .

10)Orion Resolux (BA8) 10x50 IF porro . Strictly for astronomy .

#1 , #7 , #8 and #9 are the binoculars that I presently own .

I started wearing eyeglasses about two years ago and it has changed everything . If I didn't have astigmatism I would probably still have the E2's .
Aaagh! Another porromaniac! I like you! You have just one roof and that is not for serious use. Now we are talking. How do you like the AP(BA8) 15x70 porro? I have always wondered if AP binoculars were any good. Their scopes are legendary. You have to wait about 5 years to get one. What do you look at with the Papilio? Bugs?

In the distant past Sky and Telescope had an article about getting a new telescope.
The author states with each new scope he repeated seeing the Messiers.
With each scope the deep sky objects looked different.
Same thing with binoculars and birds, just a little different in each pair, each viewing;
so no one binocular can always be the favorite-unless it is the only one you have.

edj
Are you into astronomy also or just birding?

Dennis ,
I like the AP 15x70 , especially now that I wear glasses to correct my astigmatism . Nice wide fov and reasonably sharp to my eyes . Up until I started wearing glasses , I could never get the right eye focused as sharp as the left , with any bin. If I want to see detail I must wear my glasses and that makes it a bit more difficult choosing the right bin , especially porros . I've always wanted the Nikon 18x70 but now that won't happen , not enough eye relief . So I was thinking the APM MS 16x70 might be a nice step up from my AP 15x70 . It's almost a pound lighter so should be more manageable on the monopod (Manfrotto), slightly better optics ,a tiny bit more magnification , pebble grain skin(I like) and enough eye relief for glasses .
The papilio is a fun little bin that I use mostly with a small tripod to watch insects of all type . I have the 8.5x21 . I used to have the 6.5x21 but wanted more mag , considering the tripod .

Attachments

• DSC00461 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00461 (Medium).JPG
    391.6 KB · Views: 20
Dennis ,
I like the AP 15x70 , especially now that I wear glasses to correct my astigmatism . Nice wide fov and reasonably sharp to my eyes . Up until I started wearing glasses , I could never get the right eye focused as sharp as the left , with any bin. If I want to see detail I must wear my glasses and that makes it a bit more difficult choosing the right bin , especially porros . I've always wanted the Nikon 18x70 but now that won't happen , not enough eye relief . So I was thinking the APM MS 16x70 might be a nice step up from my AP 15x70 . It's almost a pound lighter so should be more manageable on the monopod (Manfrotto), slightly better optics ,a tiny bit more magnification , pebble grain skin(I like) and enough eye relief for glasses .
The papilio is a fun little bin that I use mostly with a small tripod to watch insects of all type . I have the 8.5x21 . I used to have the 6.5x21 but wanted more mag , considering the tripod .
Nice setup with the Papilio! You could just sit in your chair and watch bugs all day. Do you ever use the Papilio for watching butterflies? I did that when I was in Yellowstone National Park, and it is amazing how many small species of butterflies there are.

Well 10 favourite binoculars are a lot of favourite binoculars!! I’ll name 10 binoculars I like, but I’ll split the list in two halves, as you will see.
I’ve had quite a few binoculars over the last years (yes, way less than many forum members here, but enough to have developed a taste of the things I like the most), so here it goes:

1. Zeiss Victory FL 7x42. I think this is the binocular that has given me the most pleasurable views, such sharpness, such a crisp image, and so bright it looks surreal (like in "beyond reality"). Not perfect, but well is there actually a perfect binocular? I'm starting to think binoculars are a bit like people! 😀 Life looks more beautiful through the 7x42 FL.

2. Swarovski 8x32 EL SV (pre FP). My favourite 8x32. Again, not perfect (some glare and a brightness in the view that sometimes seems to wash the image a bit)... but what-a-view. I’ve done a pilgrimage through most top 8x32 (Leica, Zeiss, not EDG, the weight simply defeats their purpose) and these are my favourite. I love the handling, so easy to single hand. Fan-tas-tic. I could see this as my only binocular. Bonus track: I know 8x32 would not be anyone’s favourite astro bin… but these perform so well under my night sky. And the flat field really pays off here. Yes, I’ve had 7x50 Fujinons, some 8x56, 10x50 and other astro-oriented flavours, but these 8x32 are just a joy. And then there's something special and importan: these are the 8x32 that feel more “8x42” that I’ve used, and that I think is the best compliment to a 8x32. The view is "big", and I don't mean FOV. It's hard to explain.

3. Nikon SE 10x42. The binocular that opened the 10x world to my eyes (I’ve had other 10x42, and praised ones for that matter, the likes of the Zeiss 10x42 FL or the Endeavor II, on two sides of the price ladder, but never felt I could take advantage of 10x until the SE). Sharp and really sweet image, vivid, lifelike. For some reason, I seem to get a perfect grip and holding position with these. Sometimes I go without using them for a few days... and then I put them to my eyes again and go wow. Not the latest or the fanciest, but they feel so comfy.

4. Nikon EII 8x30. The truth is that since I have the ELSV I don’t use these that much. I’ve actually been tempted to sell them (I’m no collector, I have what I use), but whenever I hold them in my hand again I feel they are just right. The view is immersive, probably together with the ELSV 8x32 are the compacts that feel more full-size. These make me think of those old and trusty dogs, like an old Bloodhound sitting quietly by the chimney, with the long ears spreading over the floor, always close to its lifelong master. Yes, I think you can get attached to binoculars 😀

5. Opticron Traveler ED 8x32. I could have written Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 instead, since the performance and user experience is very similar: they’re very sharp, very bright and all in all great performers for the size and price. Just like with the ELSV 8x32, if I was ever forced to sell everything else, these could be my only binoculars for everything. They’re so light and small that they just become a part of your hand, so to speak. Ever since our baby was born a few months ago, I like to take long walks with the baby on a front carrier (with her face resting on my chest) and do some birdwatching, so I carry the Travelers without any strap. I can walk for many kilometers/hours, I just don't feel I’m carrying anything on my hand, they disappear. And if I have to suddenly take care of something, the Traveler disappear inside my jacket pocket. And single-handing them is a breeze: I press them against my eyebrows and the view is so steady.

6. Kowa YF 8x30. These are the binoculars that I’ve bought more times (as presents) and that has to mean something. For little over 100 € (sometimes less) you just get so much as a packages. To begin with I love the shape, the weight and the way they feel in my hands (which makes them usable by so many different people to whom a 8x32 Kowa BD XD feels "heavy": seriously, been there). The optical performance is really something for the price; obviously there are endless binoculars that have way better performance in every single aspect, but when you look at sharpness, sweet spot, CA, vignetting, etc... they do pretty well in every area. They live in my glovebox (which is quite an ordeal, since I live in a pretty sunny and warm place and the car is always parked under the sun, and it's dark), and after nearly 2 years there, they hold up pretty well. Yesterday I had a chance to use them again, and I felt they gave me basically everything I needed to enjoy those flamingos and that marsh harrier hoovering over my head.

I think the 5 models above are some of the ones I’ve enjoyed the most, that fit my needs and my taste. Not the best, in some cases not the most expensive, but my personal favourites. Now here are other 4 binoculars that I really like, but that, due to some of their characteristics cannot be called favourites, since some flaws simply make them unusable for me, and hence are or will be sold.

7. Leica Retrovid 7x35. I simply LOVE the view through these. Probably the best I’ve seen (to my taste, not talking about pure optical performance): the image is sharp, full of contrast and life. A dream come true. The 7x gives them this sense of space, this immersiveness, the x35 makes them sooooo light and small (I mean, really, smaller than many 8x32). This would be not my “favourite”, but actually “my perfect” binocular, if it was not for those terribly narrow eyecups. I've tried changing the grip, I’ve tried using other eyecups, but it’s fussy and messy (they fall when taken out of the case in a hurry, and are not that comfortable), they just don't fit, and I feel that, just like with clothes, fit is everything. It can be the best, but if there's no fit, there's nothing. I actually like the view through these way more than through the ELSV 8x32 (but then, I love 7x), enough said.

8. Swarovski Habicht 8x30. It's all about the view: the central part of the view through the little Habicht is something that everyone should experience at least once: so utterly, terribly, incredibly sharp and full of contrast. I couldn't wish for a better image. And then there’s the shape factor (I love how Porro prism binoculars feel in the hand). But then, there’s also the terribly uncomfortable eyecups, the constant glare and the rock-hard focus wheel that annihilates their “birdwatching capabilities”.

9. Vixen Foresta 7x50 CF Porro. One of the sharpest and most pleasurable images I’ve experienced. Not as bright or immersive as the 7x42 FL, but for a sixth of the price, a real bargain. Contrary to its smaller sibling, the 8x32, whose ergos I adore, the 7x50 Foresta feels a bit clunky, and the eyecups, for once, are just too large.

10. Nikon Action EX 7x35. These are the binoculars that made me discover the magic of 7x binoculars. I’ve had two units, I’ve sold them both… and I’ve regretted it on every occasion. So much so, that I’ll get another one at some point, just because the view is so nice. Yes, they’re big and feel like a brick, I have regular hands and I can just use the focus wheel (forget about single-hand them), but there’s something in the view: a wide angle 7x Porro, you just can’t go wrong.

Last edited:
I’ve not owned as many binoculars as most on this forum so I'll only list five. It was very difficult to order the first three:

1. Carl Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30. The first binocular in my birding adventure, they opened up a whole new world to me.

2. Leitz Trinovid 10x40 BAN. Great build quality and form, used for 23 years to see most of the 2,000 or so bird species I’ve seen. Like an old friend.

3. Zeiss Victory HT 8x42. The best binocular I’ve owned, a stunning image.

4. Opticron Traveller ED 8x32. Small and light without the drawbacks of a compact.

5. Leica Ultravid 8x20 BL. Super sharp compact with a stylish, if large, brown leather case.

Well 10 favourite binoculars are a lot of favourite binoculars!! I’ll name 10 binoculars I like, but I’ll split the list in two halves, as you will see.
I’ve had quite a few binoculars over the last years (yes, way less than many forum members here, but enough to have developed a taste of the things I like the most), so here it goes:

1. Zeiss Victory FL 7x42. I think this is the binocular that has given me the most pleasurable views, such sharpness, such a crisp image, and so bright it looks surreal (like in "beyond reality"). Not perfect, but well is there actually a perfect binocular? I'm starting to think binoculars are a bit like people! 😀 Life looks more beautiful through the 7x42 FL.

2. Swarovski 8x32 EL SV (pre FP). My favourite 8x32. Again, not perfect (some glare and a brightness in the view that sometimes seems to wash the image a bit)... but what-a-view. I’ve done a pilgrimage through most top 8x32 (Leica, Zeiss, not EDG, the weight simply defeats their purpose) and these are my favourite. I love the handling, so easy to single hand. Fan-tas-tic. I could see this as my only binocular. Bonus track: I know 8x32 would not be anyone’s favourite astro bin… but these perform so well under my night sky. And the flat field really pays off here. Yes, I’ve had 7x50 Fujinons, some 8x56, 10x50 and other astro-oriented flavours, but these 8x32 are just a joy. And then there's something special and importan: these are the 8x32 that feel more “8x42” that I’ve used, and that I think is the best compliment to a 8x32. The view is "big", and I don't mean FOV. It's hard to explain.

3. Nikon SE 10x42. The binocular that opened the 10x world to my eyes (I’ve had other 10x42, and praised ones for that matter, the likes of the Zeiss 10x42 FL or the Endeavor II, on two sides of the price ladder, but never felt I could take advantage of 10x until the SE). Sharp and really sweet image, vivid, lifelike. For some reason, I seem to get a perfect grip and holding position with these. Sometimes I go without using them for a few days... and then I put them to my eyes again and go wow. Not the latest or the fanciest, but they feel so comfy.

4. Nikon EII 8x30. The truth is that since I have the ELSV I don’t use these that much. I’ve actually been tempted to sell them (I’m no collector, I have what I use), but whenever I hold them in my hand again I feel they are just right. The view is immersive, probably together with the ELSV 8x32 are the compacts that feel more full-size. These make me think of those old and trusty dogs, like an old Bloodhound sitting quietly by the chimney, with the long ears spreading over the floor, always close to its lifelong master. Yes, I think you can get attached to binoculars 😀

5. Opticron Traveler ED 8x32. I could have written Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 instead, since the performance and user experience is very similar: they’re very sharp, very bright and all in all great performers for the size and price. Just like with the ELSV 8x32, if I was ever forced to sell everything else, these could be my only binoculars for everything. They’re so light and small that they just become a part of your hand, so to speak. Ever since our baby was born a few months ago, I like to take long walks with the baby on a front carrier (with her face resting on my chest) and do some birdwatching, so I carry the Travelers without any strap. I can walk for many kilometers/hours, I just don't feel I’m carrying anything on my hand, they disappear. And if I have to suddenly take care of something, the Traveler disappear inside my jacket pocket. And single-handing them is a breeze: I press them against my eyebrows and the view is so steady.

6. Kowa YF 8x30. These are the binoculars that I’ve bought more times (as presents) and that has to mean something. For little over 100 € (sometimes less) you just get so much as a packages. To begin with I love the shape, the weight and the way they feel in my hands (which makes them usable by so many different people to whom a 8x32 Kowa BD XD feels "heavy": seriously, been there). The optical performance is really something for the price; obviously there are endless binoculars that have way better performance in every single aspect, but when you look at sharpness, sweet spot, CA, vignetting, etc... they do pretty well in every area. They live in my glovebox (which is quite an ordeal, since I live in a pretty sunny and warm place and the car is always parked under the sun, and it's dark), and after nearly 2 years there, they hold up pretty well. Yesterday I had a chance to use them again, and I felt they gave me basically everything I needed to enjoy those flamingos and that marsh harrier hoovering over my head.

I think the 5 models above are some of the ones I’ve enjoyed the most, that fit my needs and my taste. Not the best, in some cases not the most expensive, but my personal favourites. Now here are other 4 binoculars that I really like, but that, due to some of their characteristics cannot be called favourites, since some flaws simply make them unusable for me, and hence are or will be sold.

7. Leica Retrovid 7x35. I simply LOVE the view through these. Probably the best I’ve seen (to my taste, not talking about pure optical performance): the image is sharp, full of contrast and life. A dream come true. The 7x gives them this sense of space, this immersiveness, the x35 makes them sooooo light and small (I mean, really, smaller than many 8x32). This would be not my “favourite”, but actually “my perfect” binocular, if it was not for those terribly narrow eyecups. I've tried changing the grip, I’ve tried using other eyecups, but it’s fussy and messy (they fall when taken out of the case in a hurry, and are not that comfortable), they just don't fit, and I feel that, just like with clothes, fit is everything. It can be the best, but if there's no fit, there's nothing. I actually like the view through these way more than through the ELSV 8x32 (but then, I love 7x), enough said.

8. Swarovski Habicht 8x30. It's all about the view: the central part of the view through the little Habicht is something that everyone should experience at least once: so utterly, terribly, incredibly sharp and full of contrast. I couldn't wish for a better image. And then there’s the shape factor (I love how Porro prism binoculars feel in the hand). But then, there’s also the terribly uncomfortable eyecups, the constant glare and the rock-hard focus wheel that annihilates their “birdwatching capabilities”.

9. Vixen Foresta 7x50 CF Porro. One of the sharpest and most pleasurable images I’ve experienced. Not as bright or immersive as the 7x42 FL, but for a sixth of the price, a real bargain. Contrary to its smaller sibling, the 8x32, whose ergos I adore, the 7x50 Foresta feels a bit clunky, and the eyecups, for once, are just too large.

10. Nikon Action EX 7x35. These are the binoculars that made me discover the magic of 7x binoculars. I’ve had two units, I’ve sold them both… and I’ve regretted it on every occasion. So much so, that I’ll get another one at some point, just because the view is so nice. Yes, they’re big and feel like a brick, I have regular hands and I can just use the focus wheel (forget about single-hand them), but there’s something in the view: a wide angle 7x Porro, you just can’t go wrong.

Nice selection! Too bad about the Retrovid eye cups, but having had a pair I agree with you. The eye cups are just too narrow. It is too bad manufacturers can't build a smaller binocular without making the eye cups too small for a lot of peoples eye sockets. If you contact Swarovski they will send you the GA or green armored eye cups for no charge which come on the 7x42 GA and 10x40 GA, but they will fit your 8x30 W, and they are bigger in diameter and are more comfortable. If you like the Habicht 8x30 W you should try the Habicht 7x42 or 10x40. They have much less glare with the 10x40 having very little and the 7x42 having practically none. The Vixen Forestra 7x50 porro sounds interesting, but I am surprised a 50 mm wasn't as bright as the Zeiss 7x42 FL. it is pulling in almost 40% more light. How was the Vixen Forestra 7x50 compared to your Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50?

Last edited:
I’ve not owned as many binoculars as most on this forum so I'll only list five. It was very difficult to order the first three:

1. Carl Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30. The first binocular in my birding adventure, they opened up a whole new world to me.

2. Leitz Trinovid 10x40 BAN. Great build quality and form, used for 23 years to see most of the 2,000 or so bird species I’ve seen. Like an old friend.

3. Zeiss Victory HT 8x42. The best binocular I’ve owned, a stunning image.

4. Opticron Traveller ED 8x32. Small and light without the drawbacks of a compact.

5. Leica Ultravid 8x20 BL. Super sharp compact with a stylish, if large, brown leather case.
A couple of interesting classics there! How do you like the Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30 say compared to the modern 8x30 glass like the Monarch HG 8x30? Is the Traveller comparable to a mid-range 8x32 like the Kowa Genesis Prominar HD 8x32?

If you contact Swarovski they will send you the GA or green armored eye cups for no charge which come on the 7x42 GA and 10x40 GA, but they will fit your 8x30 W, and they are bigger in diameter and are more comfortable.
Yes, I did that when I had them back in 2019, and Swarovski did send the GA eyecups free of charge (which is really stunning; I've also had that from Zeiss and Steiner). However, the GA eyecups only partially solved one of the issues, the glare and the rock-hard focus was still a huge problem (especially for birdwatching), so I sold them.

If you like the Habicht 8x30 W you should try the Habicht 7x42 or 10x40. They have much less glare with the 10x40 having very little and the 7x42 having practically none. The Vixen Forestra 7x50 porro sounds interesting, but I am surprised a 50 mm wasn't as bright as the Zeiss 7x42 FL. it is pulling in almost 40% more light. How was the Vixen Forestra 7x50 compared to your Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50?
I do have the 7x42 Habicht (in GA). It is a stunning little wonder. My unit focus wheel is less hard than the one in my 8x30, but still quite hard. Then there's the FOV, it is narrow. However, they are bright and sharp, and generally a pleasure to hold and use. However, due to its limitations, I seem to only use them to scan the surrounding fields from home, and frankly, I think other binoculars could do the job at a fraction of the cost.

The Vixen Forestra 7x50 porro sounds interesting, but I am surprised a 50 mm wasn't as bright as the Zeiss 7x42 FL. it is pulling in almost 40% more light. How was the Vixen Forestra 7x50 compared to your Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50?
If you have the chance, do try the Foresta. Given your comments about porros and 7x50 binoculars, I think you are going to love them. My comment about them not being as bright as the FL refers to daylight viewing, where the 50 mm objectives don't actually have a big impact. I've had two binoculars from the Vixen Foresta Porro series (8x32 and 7x50) and I must say that I was really impressed by their sharpness; and if you factor price (they're usually found second hand) then they're a winning combination. As for the Foresta 7x50 against the Fujinon, I did a short review comparing the Foresta to Leica 7x42 BA, Minox Asph 7x42 and the Fujinon 7x50. You can read it here:

Reading what I wrote then I can see that the Foresta where sharper than the Leicas and the Minox, and as sharp as my 8x32 ELSV. These were my words comparing the Foresta and the Fujinon: "I'd say (the Foresta) are at least "almost" on pair with the Fujinon, if not directly their match, at least under daylight conditions (I’d say that under some circumstances the Vixen shows a little more contrast than the Fujinon)."
Given that the Fujinon is way more expensive, ludicrously heavy for taking it on a birdwatching walk and also that I personally find IF is a no-no for birding, then the Foresta do actually come as a winner and more complete set, although the Fujinon is obviously superior in some aspects (no wonder, given the price and weight difference). Actually, I sold my Fujinon and kept the Foresta. I only used the Fujinon for astro, and while the performance was really good, I think in my kind of night sky a 10x50 could probably be more helpful, so I've ordered a nice middle-range 10x50 to see if I can get a more suitable result. I've been looking for a nice 10x50 that would not break the bank for quite a while, and they are indeed difficult to find: something a little better than a low-middle range Porro (Nikon Action EX), but that wouldn't cost more than 500 €/$.

A couple of interesting classics there! How do you like the Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30 say compared to the modern 8x30 glass like the Monarch HG 8x30? Is the Traveller comparable to a mid-range 8x32 like the Kowa Genesis Prominar HD 8x32?

Firstly, I should say I don't have the knowledge and experience of many/most/all of the posters on this forum - that's why I come here, to learn.

I can't comment on how the Jenoptems compare as I haven't used them for over 32 years - I gave mine away (we all make mistakes) when I got the Trinovids.

As for the Travellers, I'd say they don't compete with the Zeiss Conquest or the Leica Trinovid from memory (I've not tried the Kowa) as I've not done a side by side comparison, and I wouldn't expect them to. But in their price range they should be at the top everyone's comparison list.

1) Swaro NL8X42s- I just got these. They do have a wow factor. The view that they offer is just so nice and the FOV is magnificent. They provide exceptional eye relief and I am an eyeglass wearer.
2) Swaro EL10X42 SV FP- I really liked these binoculars as well. They have excellent eye relief and they are fantastic to take up into the mountains and tear down vast amounts of terrain. They are super comfortable.
3) Zeiss FL 10X42 *T- I have used these for 10 years. They are fantastic binoculars. They have excellent color rendition and you can sit and look through them for hours.
4) Swarovski 10X25 CL pockets. These little guys punch way above their weight class. They offer a fantastic image for such a light and handy little binocular. I have compared them to the Leica Ultravid Pockets(owning both for a short period and returning the Leicas)and still prefer them. I have looked at many other small binoculars and owned a pair of the Leupold Gold Ring 9x25 compacts for a while and the little Swaros continue to amaze me.
5) Surprize- Vortex 18X56 UHD Roof Prism binoculars. These binoculars really do have an impressive image. I have compared them to the Swarovski 15X56 on tripods and off hand and have to say that Vortex did an amazing job with this specific model. The others are overly big. I also own a 12X50 UHD binocular but for pure get out and cover terrain. The big guy gets my vote.
6) Leica Geovid 10X42 R- I like this binocular rangefinder combo fine. It provides a great image. There is a bit of a yellowish cast to it that is a bit annoying. It is a great hunting binocular but I don't know where it fits in my use right now.
7) Swaro 8X30 CL roof prism binoculars. These are my little moose hunting binoculars. They work well and gather a lot of light in areas that are darkish and I need a small pair of binoculars that will let me see things when I am walking through the trees. They are also good for woodland bird watching. I will grab these when I try to find flying squirrels at our old homestead. I am getting the 8X30 Zeiss Conquest HDs soon so we will see where they stand with competition. I also have a pair of Japanese 8X30 Glantz Porro prism binos and though I believe that they are not waterproof the glass is very clear. People shouldn't put their noses up on some of those older Japanese binoculars.
8) 15X60 Zeiss B/GA Porro Prisms. These are outstanding. I didn't own them but I ran into a guide when I was growing up that had these and they made me fall in love with good glass. I have looked for them since but they are super hard to find. I wonder how they would do against the updated Swaro SLC15s, Maven 18s, or the new Vortex 18s. I know that Leica also produces a 15X56 Geovid that I almost bought. It is a lot of binocular.
9) Bushnell Elite 8X42s - These were the first major binoculars that I purchased. They were extremely clear and I adjusted them to perfection. They had great light gathering and I could pick out animals and birds with great detail with them. I guess that I am not somebody to rests on my laurels. I gave these to a young man who had no good optics to begin with and it started him into professional guiding. It was a great gift.
10) 8X30 Steiner Safaris. I had these about 15 years ago. They were decent for what they were. Steiner Porros are really decent for the price. They aren't world beaters but they are pretty good for the money that you can find them on the used market.

There are some binoculars that I have looked through and used but not owned. I would love to get a pair of 8X32 Ultravids. I like the form factor and I believe that they are outstanding for their size. I am going to get a pair of Zeiss 10X32 SFs within 4-5 months. I have just heard so many great things about them that they are next on my lists as are a pair of Swaro 10X40 Habicht W Porros. I really like the Leupold Gold Ring 10x42 binoculars and was close to getting a pair at one time. I was also close to getting a pair of 10X40 Zeiss Diatyl binoculars but just couldn't seal the deal.

Yes, I did that when I had them back in 2019, and Swarovski did send the GA eyecups free of charge (which is really stunning; I've also had that from Zeiss and Steiner). However, the GA eyecups only partially solved one of the issues, the glare and the rock-hard focus was still a huge problem (especially for birdwatching), so I sold them.

I do have the 7x42 Habicht (in GA). It is a stunning little wonder. My unit focus wheel is less hard than the one in my 8x30, but still quite hard. Then there's the FOV, it is narrow. However, they are bright and sharp, and generally a pleasure to hold and use. However, due to its limitations, I seem to only use them to scan the surrounding fields from home, and frankly, I think other binoculars could do the job at a fraction of the cost.

If you have the chance, do try the Foresta. Given your comments about porros and 7x50 binoculars, I think you are going to love them. My comment about them not being as bright as the FL refers to daylight viewing, where the 50 mm objectives don't actually have a big impact. I've had two binoculars from the Vixen Foresta Porro series (8x32 and 7x50) and I must say that I was really impressed by their sharpness; and if you factor price (they're usually found second hand) then they're a winning combination. As for the Foresta 7x50 against the Fujinon, I did a short review comparing the Foresta to Leica 7x42 BA, Minox Asph 7x42 and the Fujinon 7x50. You can read it here:

Reading what I wrote then I can see that the Foresta where sharper than the Leicas and the Minox, and as sharp as my 8x32 ELSV. These were my words comparing the Foresta and the Fujinon: "I'd say (the Foresta) are at least "almost" on pair with the Fujinon, if not directly their match, at least under daylight conditions (I’d say that under some circumstances the Vixen shows a little more contrast than the Fujinon)."
Given that the Fujinon is way more expensive, ludicrously heavy for taking it on a birdwatching walk and also that I personally find IF is a no-no for birding, then the Foresta do actually come as a winner and more complete set, although the Fujinon is obviously superior in some aspects (no wonder, given the price and weight difference). Actually, I sold my Fujinon and kept the Foresta. I only used the Fujinon for astro, and while the performance was really good, I think in my kind of night sky a 10x50 could probably be more helpful, so I've ordered a nice middle-range 10x50 to see if I can get a more suitable result. I've been looking for a nice 10x50 that would not break the bank for quite a while, and they are indeed difficult to find: something a little better than a low-middle range Porro (Nikon Action EX), but that wouldn't cost more than 500 €/$.
I agree about the glare on the Habicht 8x30 W. That is why I sold mine. I think unless you have really dark skies you would prefer a 10x50 over a 7x50. I find the 7x50 is pretty nice for daytime viewing because you never really have to focus much and in low light they are superb. Sometimes there are some used Fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX in your price range if you watch places like Astromart.

1) Swaro NL8X42s- I just got these. They do have a wow factor. The view that they offer is just so nice and the FOV is magnificent. They provide exceptional eye relief and I am an eyeglass wearer.
2) Swaro EL10X42 SV FP- I really liked these binoculars as well. They have excellent eye relief and they are fantastic to take up into the mountains and tear down vast amounts of terrain. They are super comfortable.
3) Zeiss FL 10X42 *T- I have used these for 10 years. They are fantastic binoculars. They have excellent color rendition and you can sit and look through them for hours.
4) Swarovski 10X25 CL pockets. These little guys punch way above their weight class. They offer a fantastic image for such a light and handy little binocular. I have compared them to the Leica Ultravid Pockets(owning both for a short period and returning the Leicas)and still prefer them. I have looked at many other small binoculars and owned a pair of the Leupold Gold Ring 9x25 compacts for a while and the little Swaros continue to amaze me.
5) Surprize- Vortex 18X56 UHD Roof Prism binoculars. These binoculars really do have an impressive image. I have compared them to the Swarovski 15X56 on tripods and off hand and have to say that Vortex did an amazing job with this specific model. The others are overly big. I also own a 12X50 UHD binocular but for pure get out and cover terrain. The big guy gets my vote.
6) Leica Geovid 10X42 R- I like this binocular rangefinder combo fine. It provides a great image. There is a bit of a yellowish cast to it that is a bit annoying. It is a great hunting binocular but I don't know where it fits in my use right now.
7) Swaro 8X30 CL roof prism binoculars. These are my little moose hunting binoculars. They work well and gather a lot of light in areas that are darkish and I need a small pair of binoculars that will let me see things when I am walking through the trees. They are also good for woodland bird watching. I will grab these when I try to find flying squirrels at our old homestead. I am getting the 8X30 Zeiss Conquest HDs soon so we will see where they stand with competition. I also have a pair of Japanese 8X30 Glantz Porro prism binos and though I believe that they are not waterproof the glass is very clear. People shouldn't put their noses up on some of those older Japanese binoculars.
8) 15X60 Zeiss B/GA Porro Prisms. These are outstanding. I didn't own them but I ran into a guide when I was growing up that had these and they made me fall in love with good glass. I have looked for them since but they are super hard to find. I wonder how they would do against the updated Swaro SLC15s, Maven 18s, or the new Vortex 18s. I know that Leica also produces a 15X56 Geovid that I almost bought. It is a lot of binocular.
9) Bushnell Elite 8X42s - These were the first major binoculars that I purchased. They were extremely clear and I adjusted them to perfection. They had great light gathering and I could pick out animals and birds with great detail with them. I guess that I am not somebody to rests on my laurels. I gave these to a young man who had no good optics to begin with and it started him into professional guiding. It was a great gift.
10) 8X30 Steiner Safaris. I had these about 15 years ago. They were decent for what they were. Steiner Porros are really decent for the price. They aren't world beaters but they are pretty good for the money that you can find them on the used market.

There are some binoculars that I have looked through and used but not owned. I would love to get a pair of 8X32 Ultravids. I like the form factor and I believe that they are outstanding for their size. I am going to get a pair of Zeiss 10X32 SFs within 4-5 months. I have just heard so many great things about them that they are next on my lists as are a pair of Swaro 10X40 Habicht W Porros. I really like the Leupold Gold Ring 10x42 binoculars and was close to getting a pair at one time. I was also close to getting a pair of 10X40 Zeiss Diatyl binoculars but just couldn't seal the deal.
I agree with you on the little Swaro 10x25 CL pockets. I have gotten away from compacts but when I was using them the Swaro compacts were my favorites. Another good high magnification binocular is the Meopta Meostar HD 15x56. It is really as good as the Swaro HD SLC 15x56. I would bet those older Zeiss B/GA 15x60 porros would hold their own against the newer glass. It is hard to beat a big 60 mm aperture like that even with more modern coatings and that Zeiss was a quality binocular. How does the Swaro EL 10x42 compare to the Zeiss FL 10x42? Strong points and weak points?

I read your review, and your comment on the tight focuser jogged my memory of why I didn't care for the Foresta. I tolerate it in the Habicht now, so I guess I could in the Foresta. If it is harder than the Habicht that is HARD!

"Focus wheel. It is so hard to move. Really. Habicht hard. No, I’d say even harder. This would disqualify them instantly as “field/forest” binoculars to follow birds in flight or among branches."

The FLs are super comfortable once you get them set up. They are very sharp. I think that they may be sharper in the center sweet spot than the ELs but the ELs make up for that center sharpness as they are uniformly sharp to my eyes right to the edges. The ELs have a smidge more eye relief but they are heavier. I haven't yet ran the NLs against everybody but like the hot new babe I am still in the honeymoon phase where they are just fantastic. I might have a pair of 15 Meostars in my future. But I need to get my Porro 10X40W Habichts first.

The FLs are super comfortable once you get them set up. They are very sharp. I think that they may be sharper in the center sweet spot than the ELs but the ELs make up for that center sharpness as they are uniformly sharp to my eyes right to the edges. The ELs have a smidge more eye relief but they are heavier. I haven't yet ran the NLs against everybody but like the hot new babe I am still in the honeymoon phase where they are just fantastic. I might have a pair of 15 Meostars in my future. But I need to get my Porro 10X40W Habichts first.
I agree on the FL being sharper on-axis than the EL and the EL being sharper to the edge. The FL is really sharp on-axis and so is the SF. If you get the Habicht Porro get the 10x40 GA. The green rubber armour is much cooler looking, and they come with the bigger more comfortable eye cups. Do you use the big Vortex 18x56 UHD on a tripod or hand held?

Both on the Vortex. You have to use it on a tripod for long use but you can drop and pop and it is usable for the short term. The 18x is really the star of the show with Vortex glass.

Do you like the NL better than your EL? Do you feel the larger FOV is really worth the difference in price?
Dennis, Dennis, you recently said yourself that the NL is clearly superior to the EL, larger AFOV, much better contrast, higher sharpness, and you also emphasized the brightness again, that better handling too!

How did the NL 8x42 fall out of favor with you so quickly?

Andreas

NLs are the top standard. My particular binocular has a very tight focus. I like that. Once I have it set it is unbelievable. I can honestly give kudos where they are due. Swarovski hit it out of the park.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back