• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars do you use? (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Thought it would be a good idea to share with everyone what binoculars everyone uses.

Also I'm thinking myself to upgrade mine so it could give me some ideas.

Thanks

Bushnell Legend 10x42 HD. Probably the best £200 I ever spent.

What are you using at the minute WW? In other words what are you upgrading from?

Sold all my roofs, just got 8x EII/SE now, looking to add a 7x35E when the right one turns up.

Hello Torview,

A 7x35 SE, that would be interesting but I never heard of one.

However, I am using a 6x32 MeoPro because it has nice wide field and it is easy to hold steady. Every once in a while, I do need a little higher magnification, so I often carry a 10x32. If I were to limit myself to one binocular, it would be an 8x30 or and 8x32. I have found that even a high quality 8x30 Porro, from sixty years, ago, makes for enjoyable bird watching.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

most used-- NOW

10x32s-like the lightness of 32mm, the 10x works better for me than 8x

night time-25x150s on a mount

but most used varied from time to time

edj

Kowa Genesis 8.5x44 (primary)
Bausch & Lomb Elite waterproof 10x42 (work-truck beater bins)
Leupold BX-3 Mojave 8x42 (typical car bins)

Hi all,

Thought it would be a good idea to share with everyone what binoculars everyone uses.

Also I'm thinking myself to upgrade mine so it could give me some ideas.

Thanks

Dubbya Dubbya,

Welcome! to Birdforum binoculars forums.

People use the bins they do for various reasons. So rather than just making a list, it would be more helpful for members to explain why they use the bins they do.

If you figure out your own preferences and your budget, the bins presented will be more useful to you.

1. What will you use the bins for? Birding or wildlife watching? That makes a difference, because for birding you might want a smaller, lighter bin and one with a good close focus, for wildlife watching you might prefer higher magnification and larger aperture.

2. Do you have any brand preferences and which brand do you own now?

3. Do you prefer 7x, 8x or 10x?

4. Do you prefer full sized or midsized bins?

5. What's the minimum FOV acceptable for your preferred configuration?

6. Do you prefer roofs or Porros?

7. What's your budget?

Brock

I have 2 binos: Leica Trinovid 8x42 (new version) and Leupold Katmai 6x32.
I find myself using the Leica most of the time. I always preferred the 8x32's, but ever
since I had to start wearing glasses I thought I'd try moving up to 8x42 for the bigger exit pupil.
I find around 5mm exit pupil works very well for me with my eyeglasses. I prefer compact binoculars, so
I decided on the Trinovid since it is a little more 'compact' in size compared to other full size models.
If I didn't have to wear glasses I would have an Ultravid hd 8x32. But the Trinovid is a great choice
for my needs nowadays.

I hope you find a binocular that you enjoy and serves you well. Happy shopping :)

~ Beth

What binocular do I use? Well, with apologies to E.Y. Harburg:

"Oh this all is so confusing,
So many Bins are near!
When I'm not near the Bin I love,
I love the Bin I'm near.
Ev'ry Bin that's sitting by me
Is a flame that must be fanned.
When I can't fondle the Bin I'm fond of,
I fondle the Bin at hand.
My heart's in a pickle,
It's constantly fickle
And not too partickle, I fear.
I love the Bin I'm near!"

:king:

Bob

Just got a pair of Nikon Premier 10x25s; the view is nice enough that I am finding I rarely use my full size 8x42s. And they're always with me, so by far my favorite pair.

What binocular do I use? Well, with apologies to E.Y. Harburg:

"Oh this all is so confusing,
So many Bins are near!
I love the Bin I'm near.
Ev'ry Bin that's sitting by me
Is a flame that must be fanned.
When I can't fondle the Bin I'm fond of,
I fondle the Bin at hand.
My heart's in a pickle,
It's constantly fickle
And not too partickle, I fear.
I love the Bin I'm near!"

:king:

Bob

:t::t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back