• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What can I do to help? (1 Viewer)

Mama_Bear

We have a mama hummingbird and two babies living in a nest under our carport. There's a storm coming and is expected to have up to 90 MPH winds as well as heavy rain and golf ball sized hail. I'm so worried for our poor little family of hummingbirds. I'm afraid the babies will starve if the mom isn't able to go get food in the storm. We set up a humming bird feeder further under the carport where it would be safe from the wind and rain/hail, but it's been three days and she hasn't noticed it's there. Will they be okay? Will their nest get blown to kingdom come? What else can I do to help them?

Last edited:
Sounds as though you've done as much as you can and fingers crossed for their safety.

BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum ;)

Please let us know how they make it through the storm!

We have a mama hummingbird and two babies living in a nest under our carport. There's a storm coming and is expected to have up to 90 MPH winds as well as heavy rain and golf ball sized hail. I'm so worried for our poor little family of hummingbirds. I'm afraid the babies will starve if the mom isn't able to go get food in the storm. We set up a humming bird feeder further under the carport where it would be safe from the wind and rain/hail, but it's been three days and she hasn't noticed it's there. Will they be okay? Will their nest get blown to kingdom come? What else can I do to help them?

Good on you for caring!
I doubt your hummers will starve, even if there is a feeding gap. These birds have the ability to throttle down a lot when times are tough, so they ride through the storms.
In general, hummers are just amazing, the Ruby Throats fly non stop across the Gulf, a 600 mile hop without food or water. I've seen them visiting flowers in Algonquin Park, east of Georgian Bay in Canada, these are super tough birds.
It sounds as though the nest is protected from direct weather impacts and you have food nearby, don't think you can do a lot more.
Have faith and enjoy your little guests!

Thanks! I sure hope they'll make it. Watching them every day has brought me such joy, I'd hate to lose them. I will keep you updated! :)

Hi Mama_Bear and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Yes... please let us know what happens. Good luck and take care yourself.

Well, I'm afraid they didn't make it. The nest was situated right under the very edge of the carport, which was what made me nervous, I didn't think it looked like it would be very protected. Although the nest is still there and appears intact, I haven't seen a thing of the birds all day. You used to be able to see the babies sticking up a bit, and the mom would be back and forth all the time, but now you can't even see the babies and the mom is nowhere to be found, either. :'( I don't know what happened, since the nest is still intact, but they don't seem to be inhabiting it anymore.

Oh no! ;( Let's hope they have sheltered somewhere else and will be back eventually Mama Bear.

Oh gosh!! Scary times waiting to see what might be going on. Hopefully, as KC says, they'll come back when things have settled.

Don't be tempted to look in the nest yet, just in case...

I'm hoping they just sheltered elsewhere and will be back! But I know the babies were awfully young and probably can't fly yet, so I'm afraid maybe they didn't make it and the mom abandoned the nest. But hopefully not, maybe they'll show up again when the wind dies down! It's still pretty strong today. I probably won't be messing with the nest at all, it's pretty high up anyway and hard to get to.

Well, I'm pretty sure they didn't make it. :( You can see the two little babies' beaks poking up over the edge of the nest, but they haven't moved or changed position at all in about a week. I haven't seen the mom at the nest at all in that time, either. There is a similar-looking hummingbird I see darting around the yard frequently, but it never stops by the nest and I'm not sure it's even the same one. What should we do with the nest? Just leave it? Is there any way we can attract more hummingbirds to nest nearby?

At this point in time I would check to make sure the babies are actually dead and if so, remove them but leave the nest for now.

I'm pretty sure they are, they literally never move. I watched those beaks for a good ten minutes yesterday, as they were in the exact same position as they have been for the last week. Not even a twitch. I suppose if I climb up there and gently nudge them, they'd probably move if they're alive.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back