• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (4 Viewers)

No binoculars but five species of parrots and parakeets today, naked eye, on a beautiful summer day. Four of the five are introduced but I still enjoy seeing them.

Walking along a creek today... a Dipper, a pair of Goldeneyes, a Belted Kingfisher, a Flicker, Robins, Finches, and Chickadees of course... and on the way back through a meadow a juvenile Bald Eagle, Red-tailed Hawks, Ravens, a Kestrel, Sharp-shinned Hawk, and Turkey Vulture. In less than an hour, a lovely break. (SLC 15x56, because we went first to a lake that had nearly frozen over and saw only a Great Blue Heron, and 10x32 BN.)

We had some great clear winter sky with stars last night. I watched just for fun not being a real star gazer. The sky was not like some cupola but you could see "forever", many stars behind other stars. Incredible. Used some good 7x50.

Near for my home a mistle thrush and a treecreeper. Used swaro el 10x42
I also had lovely looks at a Mistle Thrush today, several ST Treecreepers, some Bramblings and some very cooperative low and close Goldcrests. Using Nikon MHG 8x30.

For 15 minutes this morning around a dozen New Holland Honeyeaters visited the bushes in the front yard
They put on their usual bravura performance of sound and movement: chirping continuously, while repeatedly flitting from bush to bush
And then abruptly - silence and stillness - after they took off to their next engagement

John

Cooper’s hawk in my backyard. Took this with an iPhone though vortex viper HD 12x50. Watched it catch a sparrow and fly off with it.

Attachments

• 58546BDC-6511-4AFD-8C7F-F6A43A9E2A03.jpeg
    58546BDC-6511-4AFD-8C7F-F6A43A9E2A03.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
I was watching a high flying plane when I say some clear bubbles float by,
looking closer and focusing better it was a flock of White Pelicans IDed by their black wingtips.
Canon 12x36

edj

The red shouldered hawks are building a new nest (or refurbishing their existing nest) in a tree in my yard. Lots of close up views of the birds selecting and flying up and away with suitable branches. Various bins.

Managed to catch a break in the rain and get out into a brisk cold wind. Stacks of gulls blown into the area but nothing interesting in my quick look through. The same female Ferruginous Duck x Common Pochard and apparently the same LBB Gull that I've been seeing for a couple weeks were the most interesting things... slow birding here in winter!

Today i had a good vision than a smoll group of long tailed tit. One it whos without uour tail. It whos 0,5-1 cm long. It seem a ping pong ball.
Opticron verano hd 8x32

Took my compact 8x32s with me on a bike ride today and was rewarded with some Red Crested Pochards.

RC Pochard.jpgRC Pochard.jpg

Got a bonus of a Great Egret later but that was too far for the zoom on my phone.

We were having lunch earlier today when I spotted something moving among the flowers of the almond tree (they're in bloom now, it's just beautiful). Grab the EII (they're always lying around for a quick glance) and, OMG. Something I've never seen or heard about, a blackcap with orange throat. After some research, the only grey passerine with dark pileum and orange throat is Ficedula parva, but that's thousands of miles away from its range. OMG, OMG.
However, I've checked with a friend and he's pointed out the bird was most likely stained by pollen, creating that orange bib effect. Later on, the bird has returned and I've been able to verify it's indeed a blackcap (notice the white lower bit of the eye ring).
Nice: a pollencap! :-D

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_Plus_1612363722905.jpg
    PhotoGrid_Plus_1612363722905.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
I spotted an eagle-owl in the woods yesterday. Glare was awful but my Ultravid served me well. I got a record shot to which I added a bino vignette. Great moment. It's all out there.

Attachments

• N01_6885LeicaM10_2nf.jpg
    N01_6885LeicaM10_2nf.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back