• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What features should I look for in great spotted cuckoo? (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hey all, about 10 minutes ago I had a brief sighting of a cuckoo species fly across my bus heading towards Mottingham station, near London UK. It had a long tail, and I thought I could make out some features but I was unable to. I saw it again very briefly after it departed from a tree a couple hundred metres from me. So my question is, what should I look for that points towards a great spotted cuckoo? It is highly unlikely that what I saw was one but I would like to know what separates the two species.

Many thanks,
Ev

They are very different. On a brief view, common Cuckoo can give the impression of a bird of prey. All dark steel blue-grey with a long tail (bars on chest may not be visible). Some are all brown (rarer).

Great spotted Cuckoo has dark or grey uppers. Underparts are pale.

I think it is fair to say that a glimpse of a GS Cuckoo does not call for an instant thought of cuckoo; more like “what’s up with the colour of that magpie?”
That's true but it was definitely a cuckoo sp, probably just a common cuckoo as there was no white at all in the wings, and it was a silvery blue colour, with no black at all on it which rules out magpie straight away. I saw it well enough the first time to know that it was a cuckoo species. I think I can conclude that it was a common cuckoo, as none of the features suggested were present in the bird I saw.

I would agree with this ...if a briefly seen bird suggests 'cuckoo' and you're left pondering if it could be a Great Spotted Cuckoo, then it is not a Great Spotted Cuckoo.
Having seen a few this spring here in Cyprus, especially when calling in flight, they remind me of a large Parakeet in shape.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back