• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What happened to the dove and robin living in my backyard? (1 Viewer)

A pair of mourning doves and a pair robins lived "peacefully" on a short blue spruce for some time. Last fall the doves moved to the robin's empty nest and had two young doves. Spring the doves had a new family of two young doves. After the two young doves mysteriously disappeared, the doves started their second brood in the same nest. At about the same time the robins built their nest (about two feet away) next to the doves and hatched 2 - 3 eggs. Then something happened and they both left. I am curious what had happened and whether or not both of one of the birds would come back. I think the they had a fight. The timing was when a young robin was about to leave the nest and explore the surrounding that might upset the doves because their eggs of the second brood just hatched. I heard a commotion but when I went to check, I saw a dove is next to the robin's nest with at least one little robin inside (see the attached file). I don't think the culprit was a predator. A predator would disturb both families and the adult birds would fly away and come back after some times. Any other explanations or theories? Many thanks.

Attachments

• Robins and doves.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I’m sorry, I have no idea what could have happened.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits. I'm afraid I have no answer for you.

I'm sorry but I can't open the image.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Hi wzhou and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sorry as well that I can't understand what is going on there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Update: I found the two surviving young robins - they were hanging out around our garden with a parent. But I also found a duckling who appeared lost from its mommy. There are no ponds or lake nearby so don't know where is its family. What kind of bird is it (see the picture. location: Upstate New York)? What should I do with it? I am feeding the duckling water with some potato soup? I have to feed it as the duckling does not know or is not willing to drink or eat.

Attachments

• IMG_6307.JPG
    IMG_6307.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
must have been left behind during migration? i don't know if that and breeding season overlap, but it's all i can think of. hope it gets taken care of well. once it's fully grown, you need to immediately release it where there are other ducks. ducks are very social and get very lonely if there are none others to hang with. but, for now, it seems you must take care of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back