• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What happens next? (1 Viewer)

ANewDawn

Hello BF Members!
Just joined. Not really into birds but am starting to get more interested than simply curious...

I live in South Oxfordshire, semi-rural. Villagers have commented that due to CoViD, roadkill was/is reduced. As a result, KITES have been bolder and swooped daringly in gardens for live prey - indeed 3 starling chicks have been taken from a nest in our garden and killed on 1st June. Now, 12th September, KITES are scarce.
QUESTION 1: where do the kites leave for after South Oxfordshire?

Separately:
There has been a PIGEON nesting in our fig tree on our kitchen patio where there is constant come and go. I have even had eye contact with the pigeon when assessing the ripeness of the delicious figs for collection. Now she has left. I was never aware of, nor heard any chick in there. Adversely, we have had 3 rats (2 large and 1 smaller) also regularly feasting on the figs at ground level. I guess that left the pigeon somewhat uneasy. One of our dogs killed 1 of the rats. Two days after that the pigeon has left her nest, apparently for good.
QUESTION 2: what happens to the pigeon's nest once, presumably, abandoned? Will it be safe to remove it once I need to prune the tree for Winter? Or on the contrary would it be important to leave the nest untouched.

Thank you!
A New Dawn

I'll let someone from your side of the pond help you out with your questions ;)

Hi there ANewDawn and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

1. Red Kites are still abundant in Berkshire, feeding in fields or the many back roads throughout East Berks. Residents in Cookham have been asked not to put out scraps but sometimes dozens in the air, late afternoon.

2. If the nest is empty and deserted then you can remove it without worry. Wood pigeons and Collared Doves will easily find another site.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

Red kites are prevalent across much of Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Hampshire. We have them flying over our garden most days. I expect the ones on your area will be back soon.

As Pat says, it will be fine to remove the nest once you are sure it's not being used.

Hi A New Dawn and a warm welcome from me too.

Most birds have finished nesting by October and don't start again until March, so you're safe to prune hedges and shrubs between those months. An exception is Woodpigeon that has been reported to have active nests every month of the year believe it or not!! So just check there's no nest with eggs or young in before starting.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Thank you Pat! I enjoy watching the Kites glide - I am surprised at their total hight - what can they see from up there at that distance?!
Thank you for your reassurance re the nest. No rush as the fig tree is yielding abundant fruit.
Best wishes!

Thank you for your Welcome Kits and for the confirmation. What a lovely Bird Family I have joined!
No doubt updates at some point!
x

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back