• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What in the world is this bird doing? (1 Viewer)

Hello, I'm not only brand new to this forum , I am also new to birdwatching. I have set up a make-shift bird sanctuary in my back yard in Southern Indiana. I have 8 different types of feeders with 4 different types of seed or suet. I couldn't forget my 4 hummingbird feeders and then added a bird bath. I now spend all my free time out on my deck with my sweet tea, my lab, binoculars, and bird ID books.

Now, with all that said, can you guys help me identify what is actually going on here? This is the 5th time I've witnessed this behavior ,so I finally was able to catch a grainy pic from my phone. What you can't see on the other side of the snowman feeder (it was a Christmas gift and it's perfect for sunflower seed, so we have Christmas in July around here) is a redheaded matching bird to the brown ones doing the "dance."

My uneducated guess is it's either a fledgling following the mom around begging for food (do they do that?), or it's a mating dance type thing. Usually there are two brown ones following the red-headed one,as BOTH of them do this dance.

Thanks and I look forward to your answers.
PS-Ignore the mess in my backyard. I was cleaning out under our shelter house and got attacked by a hive of wasps. It's been sitting like this ever since. I'll get to it soon... Ish.

https://youtu.be/LdW1lnPgr4M

Welcome to the forum!

Your birds are House Finches. It sounds (and looks) as if you have two young House Finches following the male (red head) and begging for food. June and July are prime months to observe this behavior.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back