• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is more important transmission or exit pupil size as we age? (1 Viewer)

Dennis, that's a good idea. I would like to point out that imho slight color weaknesses are hardly detected by such tests. Happy new year to all readers. Best wishes. Jessie
I don't know some of those letters are hard to distinguish if you are color-blind at all. I think it is fairly accurate.

Normal for me too (mildly reassuring that...). The only Zeiss bino I've noted a green cast in is my old 12x50B Nobilem Spezial.

I did notice when using the Noctivid 8x42 and 10x42 that reds/yellows seemed to stand out. That's not a bad thing in my opinion, given that some of the most distinctive (and attractive) field marks are those colours.

Did it yesterday and yesterday my color vision was normal.
Can't say anything about Zeiss simply because I have no Zeiss - I became allergic to Zeiss in my first days here because a couple of alphadiots spoilt it for me. I originally joined to find info on Zeiss/Leica (zhe djerman glass is zhe best, yah?!) but I have now bought Nikon porros with a APM and a Habicht on the way too.
My oh so inferior Steiners are totally neutral - at least to my eyes.

Did it yesterday and yesterday my color vision was normal.
Can't say anything about Zeiss simply because I have no Zeiss - I became allergic to Zeiss in my first days here because a couple of alphadiots spoilt it for me. I originally joined to find info on Zeiss/Leica (zhe djerman glass is zhe best, yah?!) but I have now bought Nikon porros with a APM and a Habicht on the way too.
My oh so inferior Steiners are totally neutral - at least to my eyes.
What Nikon porros, APM and Habicht did you buy? Just curious. I like porros.

Did the test. Normal. I see a greenish bias to my Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket. It is obvious in use and is also especially easy to see when looking through the bins backwards held against a white paper. Is this result interesting? Does is solve any arguments? Glad if so.

--AP

Did the test. Normal. I see a greenish bias to my Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket. It is obvious in use and is also especially easy to see when looking through the bins backwards held against a white paper. Is this result interesting? Does is solve any arguments? Glad if so.

--AP
Alexis, thank you for your feedback. Now we have the first proband. Do you also see the green colour cast after a little longer observation, after a few minutes? When I change the colour temperature of my TV, I don't notice it very quickly.
If you have similiar bins (without "green cast" but with equal magnification), this experiment with bins and printed off test pictures would be interesting for you and others:
Larger objective lens diameters do not matter in bright ambient light, the 8x25 is the most demanding. Unfortunately, you will not be able to hold the small 8x25 as stable as a more voluminous pair of binoculars. Probably this will distort the results. Can you use a tripod for both bins? If needed, a provisional arrangement (stopgap), adhesive tape?
Jessie

Last edited:
...Do you also see the green colour cast after a little longer observation, after a few minutes? When I change the colour temperature of my TV, I don't notice it very quickly.
If you have similiar bins (without "green cast" but with equal magnification), this experiment with bins and printed off test pictures would be interesting for you and others...
I am a photographer and devote a bit more consciousness than the average person to trying to be aware of the color temperature of light, esp. when dealing with mixed light sources. Nevertheless, like everyone, my eyes/brain aim for 'auto white balance'. However, I usually look through bins for brief periods of time, so the comparison to regular vision (eyes only, between moments of lifting the bins to my eyes) keeps the bias visible. With bins, slight bias doesn't bother me much. I have other bins with amber or other biases. Only those with strong yellowish bias bother me much. I like a bit of magenta bias.

--AP

--AP
If you see it against a white paper that is definitely a green bias.

Alexis, thank you for your feedback. Now we have the first proband. Do you also see the green colour cast after a little longer observation, after a few minutes? When I change the colour temperature of my TV, I don't notice it very quickly.
If you have similiar bins (without "green cast" but with equal magnification), this experiment with bins and printed off test pictures would be interesting for you and others:
Larger objective lens diameters do not matter in bright ambient light, the 8x25 is the most demanding. Unfortunately, you will not be able to hold the small 8x25 as stable as a more voluminous pair of binoculars. Probably this will distort the results. Can you use a tripod for both bins? If needed, a provisional arrangement (stopgap), adhesive tape?
Jessie
Jessie. That would be an excellent test. Alexis, can you do that?

Normal for me too (mildly reassuring that...). The only Zeiss bino I've noted a green cast in is my old 12x50B Nobilem Spezial.

I did notice when using the Noctivid 8x42 and 10x42 that reds/yellows seemed to stand out. That's not a bad thing in my opinion, given that some of the most distinctive (and attractive) field marks are those colours.

How do you like the 12x50B Nobilem Spezial? Where did you get it? Those are getting rare.

Thanks! Merry Christmas to you too and Stay Safe! Hopefully a vaccine is on the way for this COVID virus. I am getting bored with staying home! My wife and I are getting on each other's nerves!
Hi Dennis, I chanced on this thread today which interests me as I often find myself with similar questions...

But this is just to ask if you have had your jabs (shots?) yet and hope you are able to get out a bit more now. (I am even getting on my own nerves from time to time.)

All the best,

Tom

Hi Dennis, I chanced on this thread today which interests me as I often find myself with similar questions...

But this is just to ask if you have had your jabs (shots?) yet and hope you are able to get out a bit more now. (I am even getting on my own nerves from time to time.)

All the best,

Tom
We are both getting our 2nd Covid Vaccine this week so in a couple of weeks after that we should have some immunity, and we will venture out a little. I think you still have to be cautious and wear a mask but at least you are a little safer.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back