• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the problem? (1 Viewer)

aaron1956

aaron1956
I just got my "better beamer" flash extender and I am having some problems. This shot was about 10m from me, no tripod but I was sitting at a table with camera rested on camera bag. Why can't I get it sharper? Should i change settings? I was shooting slightly into the sun.
This was converted from RAW.
I shot several (250+) images today and I got some good ones but some I just don't understand why they are no sharper.

Attachments

• 254.JPG
    254.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 105
  • mini-Painted Bunting 254.JPG
    mini-Painted Bunting 254.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 208
How much did ambient light contribute to the exposure?

With only 1/200s subject movement may blur an image -at least enough to prevent it from being tack-sharp- if there is sufficient ambient light that leads the exposure with the flash only providing fill light (i.e. opening up shadows) and not "stopping and freezing the action".

Ulli

The ambient light was pretty poor. He was at a "watering hole" set up in the shade.
Another thing I am wondering about. The Canon EF 400mm 5.6 has a switch that, as I understand, changes the focus speed so when set on the lower setting it does not hve to focus through the entire range. The switch changes it from 3.5-infinity to 8.5-infinity. I think I may have had it set on 3.5 because of birds that were closer earlier in the shoot. Any opinions on this?

The leaves behind the bird are focused sharply. The bird is not quite sharp. You have focused on the wrong thing, happens to everyone. What focus setting (centre point, all autofocus points etc) were you using?

John

I see that now that you mentioned it John. I was using spot metering on this shot. I was pretty excited about seeing this Painted Bunting. (my first!) so I was probably a little shaky!

General rule of thumb is that the shutter speed should equal or exceed the focal length of the lens.

Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back