• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this, Cheshire, UK? (1 Viewer)

Pommy

I have a recurrent visitor to the garden - about the size of a coal tit - but I can't recognise this bird. Any ideas what it is? Thanks

Attachments

• bird3.jpg
    bird3.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 124
  • bird4.jpg
    bird4.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 160
  • bird6.jpg
    bird6.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 159
Hi Pommy

It is indeed a Coal Tit

I had one for a couple of years i my garden in the same state.

At first I thought it was in a heavy moult but it never changed, you can see the black under feathers, I wonder if Coal Tits are prone to this?

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_3862.JPG
    IMG_3862.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
A rather oddly plumaged Coat Tit, imo. It shows the white patch on the nape, the wing bars and the strong legs you'd expect on Coal. An interesting one though.

Cheers, Thomas

My understanding is that leucism causes a lack of pigmentation, whereas this bird appears to show an excess of pigment in some areas, and a lack of it in others. Perhaps partial leucism & melanism then, though melanism tends to cause the whole plumage to darken?

Last edited:
If you look at my Coal Tit images, feathers are missing, hence why I thought origianlly it was in a heavy moult

Actually Dave, seeing your images, which are somewhat clearer and sharper than those of the OP, this puts me more in mind of a Tree Sparrow I saw a few years ago, that showed similar wear in the breast. It made the dark bib appear much more extensive, rather like a Spanish Sparrow.

It turned out that it was feather damage, most probably caused by a mite infestation or similar parasite. Contour feathers seem to be affected worse than the underlying down feathers.

I don't think it's that uncommon, and some species are more prone to it than others.

IMO it's more like a semi-albino. Albinism is a lack of pigmentation while leucism is "bleaching" of pigments - dark colours look much paler / washed out. There is a semi-albino Oystercatcher on the North Wirral at the moment that has a patchy appearance like the photo ( except it's a bit more extensive ).

Chris

Most certainly a Coal Tit - the colouring makes me think that it cold be dietary. Blackbirds and corvids fed on an incorrect diet can appear - in the late1950's some individuals hand reared blackbirds and corvids on specific diet in order to create "mutations" that could be sold!

There is a strain of mutation Coal Tits, technically Lutinos, being bred in Europe - and alao Opal Great Tits - whilst I do not like mutations or the breeding of them, I could make an exception for the Opal Great Tit!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back