• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your list? (1 Viewer)

I keep all my lists on my pc using Open Office a free resource I picked up on the internet, apart from what I list on Birdforum's yearlist thread:

How's your 2021 list going?​

Last edited:
I keep all my lists on my pc using Open Office a free resource I picked up on the internet, apart from what I list on Birdforum's yearlist thread:

How's your 2021 list going?​

I'd be a bit careful with Open Office. I've used it a couple of times as a MS Office alternative, once on a Macbook and once on a desktop running Linux Mint. Both times caused problems when transferring files onto Windows PCs, even with text files, in one case losing data.
I'm no fan of MS Office, in fact I hate the subscription model of Office 365 which forces you to pay for a lot of stuff you don't need, but I would strongly recommend keeping a backup of your lists as plain text files or (perhaps even better) as a CSV file.

I've been using Open Office for years and have never had a problem.

I can't afford to pay for MS Office. Downloading the Clements Spreadsheet then saving as an OO s/sheet is very straightforward.

I'd be a bit careful with Open Office. I've used it a couple of times as a MS Office alternative, once on a Macbook and once on a desktop running Linux Mint. Both times caused problems when transferring files onto Windows PCs, even with text files, in one case losing data.
I'm no fan of MS Office, in fact I hate the subscription model of Office 365 which forces you to pay for a lot of stuff you don't need, but I would strongly recommend keeping a backup of your lists as plain text files or (perhaps even better) as a CSV file.
I use only win10 and have never had a problem. May be it is because you used 2 different non Windows systems and tried to to tx to Windows systems . What version of Windows did you try to tx to and from what system did the loss of data occur? It could be that the versions were not fully compatible or the transferring process was corrupt in some way, possibly interrupted before completion.

I've been using Open Office for years and have never had a problem.

I can't afford to pay for MS Office. Downloading the Clements Spreadsheet then saving as an OO s/sheet is very straightforward.
I think it was you that suggested it as my MS version was outdated and causing problems with some Opus work we were doing, Delia!

I use only win10 and have never had a problem. May be it is because you used 2 different non Windows systems and tried to to tx to Windows systems . What version of Windows did you try to tx to and from what system did the loss of data occur? It could be that the versions were not fully compatible or the transferring process was corrupt in some way, possibly interrupted before completion.
It would have been Windows 7 - I think I had the file corruption / data loss transferring from the Mac version, but could be wrong. Sounds like Open Office works much better on Windows 10 - the problem for me is I would always need the capacity to create MS Word documents which preserved the formatting of the original, and that never seemed to work well either.
On the positive side I once had to fill in a form based on a MS Excel spreadsheet, which the originating organisation hadn't set up very well. I tried it on the Linux Mint computer with Open office and managed to edit it without issue and save back to Excel format - they were very surprised we got it to work, as everyone else they'd sent it to was complaining it wasn't functional.

Yep, agree there; e.g for Sciurus carolinensis, I use Gray Squirrel, even when talking of introduced ones in Britain. Birdguides are wrong there (y)
I’m not sure. If I had an American friend moving over, I would warn them to be careful about the use of the words pants or fanny. The better use of the word is surely dependent on where you are and by extension the spelling as well.

I also have no problem with them calling my sighting a Common Loon. The fact that I know it’s got the much better name over here is all that matters.

I use excel to keep my lists; that way I can use the same format for all my different critters (I also keep herp and mammal lists), I can keep sheets to track field identifiable forms and non-native exotics, and also employ my own higher level classification. I can also fiddle with them easily to make them more aesthetically pleasing, using different text colors to indicate introduced versus native, highlight different families and subfamilies different colors to track things, etc.

I also ebird, so I have an ebird list. However it really only tracks NA species since I initially started ebirding, and is missing a lot. In that sense, Ebird's list is more useful for the alerts and disseminating information.

I just use excel...and I think it’s based on a Uk list from somewhere...Iist down the left hand side year across the top, populating a date in a box (first time seen in a year) the gives me a yearly running total across the top....I highlight the species in green on the left and that gives me a lifetime uk total too. i could probably get it to auto do that but I’m not that bothered.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back