• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Hybrid Goose? Belgium (1 Viewer)

Fulmar

Seen Jan.27, 2018 in nature reserve Negenoord near Stokkem, Limburg province, Belgium was this hybrid goose. It kept company with a group of Greylag Goose. Anybody has an idea about its descent?

For a good size comparison I left a Greylag Goose in the photo (by Hans van den Boorn).

Regards,
Peter

Attachments

• Goose.jpg
    Goose.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 130
Hi Peter,

Seen Jan.27, 2018 in nature reserve Negenoord near Stokkem, Limburg province, Belgium was this hybrid goose. It kept company with a group of Greylag Goose. Anybody has an idea about its descent?

Not that I am any kind of an expert, but the bird reminds me a bit of an Emperor Goose.

Regards,

Henning

It looks a lot like a blue phase Snow Goose to me - not sure that it even has to be a hybrid, although a lot of ("normal"/white phase) Snow Goose x other goose sp hybrids can resemble blue Snow.

Do you have any photos from other angles?

Thanks Steve and Henning! Unfortunately the bird was swimming away from us, and this is the only photo where it turned its head to reveal a side view.

I'm not very familiar with Snow Geese, but in my opinion they mostly have the "blue" going up higher on the neck and also the beak looks a bit small?

Regards,
Peter

The bill does look a bit small/slim (though maybe only by comparison with the Greylag?) and possibly lacking in the "grin patch" that is typical of Snow Goose - a pic with the head looking more towards with the camera would help with that though.

Bill doesn't quite look right for any Snow Goose to me. Also, the apparent unmarked tertials would not fit a blue morph Snow Goose.

I would lean towards a hybrid of some sort, quite possibly with some Snow/Ross' Goose ancestry.

Another member in our excursion group found that she had two more pictures of the goose. Although I don't think they add much, here they are!

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

• Gans-5039.jpg
    Gans-5039.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Gans-5040.jpg
    Gans-5040.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 36
Most likely snow or Ross x barnacle.
look at the rather plain , uniform tertials , indicating the otehr parent was a branta goose. on size and shape and location Barnacle goose most likely (other possibility Branta hutchinsii, but certainly no canada)
no grinning patch visible , small billed -so more likely to involve Ross.

a few barnacle x barheaded may look similar , but not with such a pinkish bill
Emperor x barnacle show more black on the bill often some more black featehrs frontally to the neck and often a more scaly boddy pattern

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your informative answer Joern!

I just got a few more pictures of the goose, more people from the group photographed it than I originally thought! The photos have been enlarged a lot, three times over the originals. But they are more sideview pictures than the previous ones. This may confirm what you already said?

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

• Gans-5516.jpg
    Gans-5516.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 11
  • Gans-5529.jpg
    Gans-5529.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Gans-5534.jpg
    Gans-5534.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back