• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What macro lens should I get for my Pentax K100D Super? (1 Viewer)

Nicola Main

I've been thinking of getting a new macro lens for my Pentax and was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to tell me which would be the best to buy? I already have the standard 18-55mm lens which came with the camera and I also have a 55-300mm zoom lens which is great for bird shots. I also like insects and flowers hence me wanting a new macro to get really good close detail. Any help would be appreciated thanks, Nicola.

Have a look at the Sigma 150/2.8

Thomas

Unfortunately, the sigma 150mm Macro is not available in Pentax mount - I looked myself when I was after a good macro lens. I believe the 180mm is available in Pentax mount, as is the 105mm.

I have the 105mm which can produce some very sharp detailed shots. It can hunt a bit for focus but used manual focus, which seems to be a favourite anyway amongst macro enthusiasts, it's a fine lens. The Tamron 90mm also seems to be on a par with the Sigma and I have read many good reports about it. I'd like the Pentax version 100mm lens but the price shot up just before I was about to buy, hence the Sigma purchase.

I have the Pentax 100mm f/2.8, which is useable on APS-C or full frame and film of course, so it is very versatile. It is a truely awesome lens with a superb out of focus softness. For macro use you are better off using manual focus and a tripod. If funds will stretch you will find a macro rail used on the tripod head will be a real help to accurate focus, look at the Manfrotto 454. This combo is not cheap, but you will only buy it once, so going for the full monty may save you money in the long run.

There are some examples on my Flickr site. It also makes a very good portrait lens and will seperate the subject from the background.

Thanks for all your replies |;| I've bought a 105mm as I will be handholding the camera and after seeing some great examples on Flickr decided to go for this one. Thanks again, Nicola.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back