• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What might have predated baby robins from nestbox?? (1 Viewer)

FamilyRoss

United Kingdom
Hello, I was hoping someone might be able to help us identify what might have predated the baby robins from a nest box in our garden. The nest box is on the wall of our house, about 5ft off the ground and behind a spiky pyracantha bush which is growing against the house. It is used every year by robins. Today I found these remains on the ground near the nestbox. Two of the bits of remains look like they might have been partially digested and coughed up again? We don't have many cats visiting the garden but they are seen occasionally, as are squirrels and magpies. Our neighbour has had a fox visit her garden recently. I'd appreciate any ideas on who the culprit might have been. Many thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 15
Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope that you enjoy your visits.

I am not sure what could have taken the chicks.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)

We're glad you found us and thanks for taking a moment to say hello. Please join in wherever you like ;)

How sad this is to see and God knows what got to them.

Thank you. Looking forward to using this site. We are all very interested in birds and other wildlife, and my 10-year-old son has become really interested in birdwatching during this lockdown and has spotted 64 different species (and counting!) in the local area over the past few months. He is trying to photograph as many as he can but we can't always identify them so we might need to post some photos to get some help at some point :)

Hi FamilyRoss and a warm welcome from me too.

It's difficult to know what can have caused this. You say you have squirrels (presumably grey?) they could well be the culprit. As could Magpies, Jays etc, but they'd normally take the youngsters back to their own nests for their own young. Rats, stoats and weasels are also a possibility.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hello, I was hoping someone might be able to help us identify what might have predated the baby robins from a nest box in our garden. The nest box is on the wall of our house, about 5ft off the ground and behind a spiky pyracantha bush which is growing against the house. It is used every year by robins. Today I found these remains on the ground near the nestbox. Two of the bits of remains look like they might have been partially digested and coughed up again? We don't have many cats visiting the garden but they are seen occasionally, as are squirrels and magpies. Our neighbour has had a fox visit her garden recently. I'd appreciate any ideas on who the culprit might have been. Many thanks
My guess would be Squirrel, I don't think Magpies would yak up their meal?

I'm on the verge of buying an airgun and reducing the number of squirrels in my garden, they take a toll on all, local birds here and I too, lost a Robins nest a couple of years ago with squirrels being the prime suspect and let us not forget, they are not, a native species.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back