• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What might I see early AM in London Fields? (1 Viewer)

samskara

Hey there,
I'm quite new to birding and I'm wondering what birds I might stand a chance of spotting in the early morning (6:00-7:00am) in London Fields? (I've just moved there and want to start going running there before work)

Any help making a list (even of really obvious birds) would be appreciated so I can check them off when I know I've seen them!

Many thanks all,

Sam

London Fields, in Hackney, East London, is a small oasis of green, in an otherwise, extremely densely populated area, surrounded by tower blocks. But for all that, it will still be a haven of refuge, and a source of food for a wide variety of birds. There is a pond at the southern end.
The usual, year round suspects, will be Magpies, Carrion crows, Black headed gulls (with the occasional Common gull, thrown in for good measure) Blackbirds and less frequently (regrettably) Song thrushes, Blue & Great tits, Robins, Dunnocks, Mistle Thrushes, Green finches, Gold Finches and Chaffinches. habitually nomadic Long Tailed tits, will pass through. Less common, but still possible sightings, will be Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers. In the spring, you will hear Chiffchaff's and Willow Warblers, passing through, on their way to somewhere else. In the winter, you will definitely see Redwings and perhaps Fieldfares. There will be the inevitable pigeons, perhaps, a few ducks on the pond, although they will prefer the lake in nearby Clissold park.
If you are going out jogging, at some ungodly hour of the morning. You will, without a doubt, see a fair number of foxes. And, who knows? You may even see the odd migrant rarity

Last edited:
... Magpies, Carrion crows, Black headed gulls (with the occasional Common gull, thrown in for good measure) Blackbirds and less frequently (regrettably) Song thrushes, Blue & Great tits, Robins, Dunnocks, Mistle Thrushes, Green finches, Gold Finches and Chaffinches. habitually nomadic Long Tailed tits, will pass through...

Thank you very much for this list - that definitely gives me quite a good start in terms of birds to look for. I'd probably be most keen to see the Dunnocks, Mistle Thrushes and finches as I'm pretty familiar with the rest, so I'll have to keep an eye out and remember to take my camera!

Sam

Ooh! I nearly forgot! Ring necked Parakeets make the odd appearance. o:D

Wow - that would be cool. I'm quite curious about this Parakeet business in London - I've lived in London for 5 years and I had no idea we had them here.

I've found a photo on Steve Round's bird photography website. Is this the kind of thing I've be looking for?

dfec9.jpg

Many thanks,

Sam

Could Jay, Pied Wagtail and Moorhen be added to that list?

To be honest, watched regularly any garden/park/random area could start to get a good list. All the 'regular' garden birds plus the occasional extra good bird (including Peregrines and Blackcap and on to almost anything ... )

Good luck with it ;)

Google "Hackney Wildlife Group" they will be able to help you and would also be interested in any records you generate; on the raptor front, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel and Peregrine should all be seen during the course of a year with a very good chance of Hobby, Common Buzzard and Red Kite, but you'd have to keep your eyes to the skies and you might end up running into a tree

Nick

Wow - that would be cool. I'm quite curious about this Parakeet business in London - I've lived in London for 5 years and I had no idea we had them here.

I've found a photo on Steve Round's bird photography website. Is this the kind of thing I've be looking for?

dfec9.jpg

Many thanks,

Sam

Yes, that's the one.
They are extremely noisy; listen for loud screeching, they particularly call often in flight.

Yeah they don't really sound like anything else you'll hear round that way, and the bright greenness makes them easy to pick out :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back