• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What to do with 3 days in Antananarivo, Madagascar (1 Viewer)

Jacana

Will Jones
Spain
Hi all,

I'll be travelling to Madagascar next week for field work. I've got roughly 3 days in the capital between escaping quarantine and my internal flight to Toliara. Does anyone have any recommendations for spots to visit in that time? I would quite like to see a few rainforest species, but I don't know how feasible it would be to get to that habitat in that timeframe.

I'm a bit confused because the title of your thread says 3 days in a village on the coast, and the text says 3 days in the capital. Presumably you mean 3 days in Tana?
Unless you are going to have more time later, I would try to get to Perinet/ Andasibe-Mantadia and spend as much time there as you can. It's a bit of a drive but a easily the best forest reserve in Madagascar.
You would need to hire a car and driver, and sort a guide.

Woops yes. Andavadoaka is our field site where I'll be spending most of my time!

Your suggestion looks good, I'll check them out and see if we have time.

I would second this. Otherwise there is a heronry in Tana (what everyone calls the capital), worth a morning/afternoon, but closed one day a week. It’s an old thread now but can I recommend BirdboyBowley’s Mad Month in Madagascar for further details.

Might be worth trying to stay one or two night stay at Vakona Lodge, we had a driver take us there and used a local guide and got most of the main targets nearby. I think there is a bus from Tana to to the edge of the lodge grounds if getting a driver is too expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back