• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What tripod for Opticron MM4 60 Travelscope (1 Viewer)

I use a Benro TMA37c which is a 3 section carbon fibre tripod and that appears very similar to the "Wild"series save that it is black and doesn't come with a head. I am about the same height as the OP. I rarely need the centre column raised.
Good to see multiple recommendations for Benro. What head are you using with it?

I have the Benro Wild 4 carbon which is a solid platform for the scope. The head is adequate but I have recently upgraded to the Gitzo GHF2W head which cost nearly as much as the tripod. It’s a total revelation - no ‘stiction’ and just so smooth and easy. Given that I don’t need the extra height of the more expensive tripod (the 1 or 3 are not as high) - I can use my scope or camera stood up without using the centre column, I’d say go for the shorter model. The 1 which is aluminium is barely heavier than the carbon one but half the price. I used the MM4 60 angled scope for a while and recently switched to the 77. Incidentally, I tried a lighter tripod from Vanguard and Corey Punks from 3 Legged Thing but both were far too shaky for the scope.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I’ve ordered a Benro Mach3 TMA27A from Wex. I just discovered they have 20% off Benro - ending today - which galvanised my decision making!

Sorry for the late reply - I have been away from home with no e-mail.

I use a Gitzo G2380 head which I got for a very good price used from Wex. The head is heavy and but for the very good price I probably wouldn't have bought it. But the head is very well made and in excellent condition and works very well. The whole set-up feels very solid and stable.

Sorry for the late reply - I have been away from home with no e-mail.

I use a Gitzo G2380 head which I got for a very good price used from Wex. The head is heavy and but for the very good price I probably wouldn't have bought it. But the head is very well made and in excellent condition and works very well. The whole set-up feels very solid and stable.
No problem, thanks for your reply. I ordered the Benro 27A from Wex, but it‘s special order so won’t get it until next week. I decided to risk the lighter model (compared to the 37 you have), but fingers crossed it’s sturdy enough. I haven’t ordered the head yet, but I‘ve decided on the Sirui. Pleased to hear your happy with your set-up. So many decisions, so many choices!

No problem, thanks for your reply. I ordered the Benro 27A from Wex, but it‘s special order so won’t get it until next week. I decided to risk the lighter model (compared to the 37 you have), but fingers crossed it’s sturdy enough. I haven’t ordered the head yet, but I‘ve decided on the Sirui. Pleased to hear your happy with your set-up. So many decisions, so many choices!
I think you made the right choice going for the Benro 27A. I've got the 37C (carbon fibre) for my Kowa 883 and it would be overkill for a 60mm scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back