• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What type of bird is this in NY? (1 Viewer)

Hello,
I dont know, why and from where I know this, but the word "White-breasted Nuthatch" came into my mind. And after a google search, I found pictures, that looked like this bird.

Not a confident answer, you know

edit: at least in Europe, there is only one species that can climb trees like this bird here appearantly does. Also true in the US?

Agree with White-breasted Nuthatch.
As for your question Alexander, I'm pretty sure Red-breasted, Brown-headed and Pygmy Nuthatches in NA can also do the same?
Also for Europe, Corsican and Krüper's Nuthatches would be capable of this as well.

Hello,

No doubt about that being a white breasted nuthatch. N.B. It is head down on a tree unlike brown creepers.
I saw my first white breasted nuthatch of the season, this morning in New York City's Central Park. I always find them delightful to watch going headfirst down a tree trunk.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

No doubt about that being a white breasted nuthatch. N.B. It is head down on a tree unlike brown creepers.
I saw my first white breasted nuthatch of the season, this morning in New York City's Central Park. I always find them delightful to watch going headfirst down a tree trunk.

Stay safe,
Arthur
I wasn’t to go back to Central Park. What part of the park do you find most gratifying for birding? Thanks so much for confirming. Funny that you saw one as well. I was on East Island in Glen Cove, LI. The island was bought in the 1800s by JP Morgan from the Indians. It’s developed now.

Hello,
I dont know, why and from where I know this, but the word "White-breasted Nuthatch" came into my mind. And after a google search, I found pictures, that looked like this bird.

Not a confident answer, you know

edit: at least in Europe, there is only one species that can climb trees like this bird here appearantly does. Also true in the US?
thanks so much

Agree with White-breasted Nuthatch.
As for your question Alexander, I'm pretty sure Red-breasted, Brown-headed and Pygmy Nuthatches in NA can also do the same?
Also for Europe, Corsican and Krüper's Nuthatches would be capable of this as well.
Thanks

Hello Dan,

I saw it in the Ramble, Abodia field to be exact.
We also have red breasted nuthatches in New York, which are rather less common. I believe that there are brown breasted nuthatches in the South .
Another first of the season were two Carolina wrens also in Abodia Field.

Stay safe,
Arthur

A White-Breasted Nuthatch. A cute bird, you should be happy to know you'll most likely see plenty around.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back