• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What type of Hummingbird? Southern California - Orange County (1 Viewer)

anastasia_usa

Hello!

We have been enjoying a hummingbird coming to out patio (feeder set up) this Summer (June-July 2015). Today, I was awakened by his song (I am assuming it's a male because of it's neck coloration). He has been sitting on our little tree, flying around hanging pots, perched on the tree branch or clothes line.
Can you help me to identify him? He seems to be a juvenile, but I could be wrong. Also, it feels like he is looking for something. He has been on our patio for the last 4 hours, coming and going, looking around, eating and then resting... It's fun to watch, but wondering if there is anything else we can provide for him.

Thanks a lot!
Anastasia

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 27
It's an Anna's Hummingbird. All he's looking for is a meal, though if he likes your area he may set up a territory their this winter (that's when they breed).

I've been calling it a he, but I actually suspect it's an adult female. The feathers look pretty worn and faded, while a juvenile should have newer, less faded feathers. Females can sometimes show nearly completely pink throats like this, but they lack the color on the crown that adult males show.

Thank you for your replies! It appears that we actually have 2 females visiting us. One of them (the one on the pictures) was sitting on the tree while the other one came and flew away as soon as it noticed the first one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back