• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was you’re worst string? (1 Viewer)

Sea watching is a great place to “string” for all and sunder.
I can recall self and colleagues with past “stringing” in particular on Skuas, Divers, Auks and Terns.
Leading to many hilarious and embarrassing moments, which are invariably stored and savoured for many years after the event, all part of the chuckling “learning curve”.😂

A barn owl, in very poor evening light, a couple of fields away. It was patrolling along the edge of a patch of woodland, occasionally pausing or doubling back on itself before resuming its patrol. Turned out to be a dog-walker wearing dark clothes and a white hat.
I had the reverse happen. Driving slowly along a track south between Costa Calma and La Pared on Fuerteventura a good few years ago (2009). I left our aprtment early to try to avoid sun-seekers who would walk across the narrow neck of the island there, as we'd seen on a visit the previous afternoon to get from Costa Calma resort to the empty beaches on the west side of the island. I saw the head of a jogger crossing the track well in front of me, a few hundred yards, over a slight rise. I cursed my luck that even my early start hadn't got me there early enough to avoid the tourists, especially when the jogger suddenly crossed again, going back in the opposite direction. One thing puzzled me though, even though it was early, surely it wasn't so cold, even in March as to need the white hat the jogger appeared to be wearing.

I made more progess along the track, watching to each side for cream-coloured coursers, stone curlew, lesser short toed larks etc, then I suddenly came across my jogger running in circles, crossing and recrossing the track right next to my car. The 'white hat' was a ruff of white feathers and what was wearing it wasn't a jogger, but a male houbara bustard, another target species along the track, in full display.

I've tried attacting an MP4 of the video I took of the display, but for some reason only the audio track (which is useless) uploads and the images are absent. Here's a still instead. (EDIT) I was getting my trips mixed up. It was in the days before I had my DSLR. I posted a shot at the same place in error from a later trip in 2011. The revised photo is the bird that I saw displaying. Apologies.

Attachments

• Houbara-23,-La-Pared,-22-March-fbook.jpg
    Houbara-23,-La-Pared,-22-March-fbook.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I had the reverse happen. Driving slowly along a track south between Costa Calma and La Pared on Fuerteventura a good few years ago (2009). I left our aprtment early to try to avoid sun-seekers who would walk across the narrow neck of the island there, as we'd seen on a visit the previous afternoon to get from Costa Calma resort to the empty beaches on the west side of the island. I saw the head of a jogger crossing the track well in front of me, a few hundred yards, over a slight rise. I cursed my luck that even my early start hadn't got me there early enough to avoid the tourists, especially when the jogger suddenly crossed again, going back in the opposite direction. One thing puzzled me though, even though it was early, surely it wasn't so cold, even in March as to need the white hat the jogger appeared to be wearing.

I made more progess along the track, watching to each side for cream-coloured coursers, stone curlew, lesser short toed larks etc, then I suddenly came across my jogger running in circles, crossing and recrossing the track right next to my car. The 'white hat' was a ruff of white feathers and what was wearing it wasn't a jogger, but a male houbara bustard, another target species along the track, in full display.

I've tried attacting an MP4 of the video I took of the display, but for some reason only the audio track (which is useless) uploads and the images are absent. Here's a still instead. (EDIT) I was getting my trips mixed up. It was in the days before I had my DSLR. I posted a shot at the same place in error from a later trip in 2011. The revised photo is the bird that I saw displaying. Apologies.
A great story and one I can appreciate!, having been “surprised” by one, suddenly appearing at close quarters on the same island a number of years ago.👍

This summer I saw what later turned out to be a Great White Egret. However, when I wanted to come closer, it flushed from afar and flew along the river towards a nearby forest, upon which I lost sight of it. After a while, though, I noticed a distant splash of white right at the border of the woods, so I took a few photos and proceeded in this direction. The bird seemed strangely approachable, but when I was close enough, I realised that it was a shopping bag from Biedronka--a Polish discount supermarket chain--mounted on a wooden pole, which made the 'bird' appear taller. The actual egret was long gone, although I did refind it on another occassion.
Truth be said, I have many more. Overall, I've had a few extreme cases like taking a release dove for a gull (because it was white like), a distant Yellowhammer (?) for a Citrine Wagtail or two frogs for two Nightjars, but bear with me for my 'favourite'.

As I was pedalling down the road in late spring/early summer, I noticed an unusual bird, so I stopped to have a look. I took a photo of it, and it had a strong pale supercilium, a dark crown and 'a heavily striped back reminiscent of the patterning of a snipe' or (as I then thought) of a Jack Snipe, which I had seen some days before (except it wasn't necessarily a Jack Snipe, but that's another story). An Aquatic Warbler, no doubt! As I cycled home to take a tripod, it flew away to a nest at the eaves, of which I made a detailed mental note (unusual nest location), thinking that it must forage in the reeds some way off. When I returned, the bird was still there, and I even managed to capture its hybridisation with male House Sparrow (amazing record)! Well...

Truth be said, I have many more. Overall, I've had a few extreme cases like taking a release dove for a gull (because it was white like), a distant Yellowhammer (?) for a Citrine Wagtail or two frogs for two Nightjars, but bear with me for my 'favourite'.

As I was pedalling down the road in late spring/early summer, I noticed an unusual bird, so I stopped to have a look. I took a photo of it, and it had a strong pale supercilium, a dark crown and 'a heavily striped back reminiscent of the patterning of a snipe' or (as I then thought) of a Jack Snipe, which I had seen some days before (except it wasn't necessarily a Jack Snipe, but that's another story). An Aquatic Warbler, no doubt! As I cycled home to take a tripod, it flew away to a nest at the eaves, of which I made a detailed mental note (unusual nest location), thinking that it must forage in the reeds some way off. When I returned, the bird was still there, and I even managed to capture its hybridisation with male House Sparrow (amazing record)! Well...
I seem to have lost myself... what was it?

I've mistaken a used tissue for a snow bunting, and a juvenile robin had me scratching my head for two days wondering why it didn't look like a normal spotted flycatcher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back