• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's been in your garden today? (1 Viewer)

The original female blackcap has now been joined by another, though she is usually chased off. Throughout the day, there are 6-7 blackbirds, -they usually move about the gardens more. The local roadside Pyracantha berries that normally last through the winter, finished weeks ago so Santa will have to bring a larger sack of apples, me thinks!

First thing I saw this morning was a Woodpigeon,Rook & a bunch of Ferral Pigeons. Right now there's a Woodpigeon & Magpie

Lots of Fieldfares & Redwings at work at the mo stripping berries and eating windfalls, usual mix of Tits & Finches at the feeders.

Some very noisy Kestrels around, plus Sparrowhawks and several Buzzards.

Southeast Arizona

Gambel's Quail, Western Screech-Owl, Costa's Hummingbird, Anna's Hummingbird, Gila Woodpecker, Verdin, Phainopepla, Audubon's Warbler, House Sparrow.
Rick Wright
Tucson

60+ sparrows 40+ blue great coal tits 25 chaffinch 10-12 blackbirds,nuthatches wrens gs woodpeckers greenfinch goldfinch moorhen pheasant,heard barn and tawny owls at dusk.

I'm never around to see what's eating from the feeders but today I some time so I watched Blackbirds, Robins, Tits, Thrush & furry creature !!
Huge rat clambered down onto the peanut feeder - the birds weren't that worried by it and next doors cat soon arrived which got rid of everything.

Two new visitors for me today,a Marsh tit and a Fieldfare.Also had green woodpecker,tree-creeper,blue,great and coal tits,chaffinches,nuthatch,robin,blackbirds,magpies,greenfinch,pied wagtail and dunnock.no sign of the long tail tits or goldfinches today but they are around.

There were many House Sparrows, Great and Blue Tits in my garden and at the feeders today, along with the regular Crested Tit that has been coming for a week. I saw a Coal Tit also, but it did not go to the feeder. Two Nuthatches feed regulary upside-down at the peanut feeder. Carrion Crows, Magpies, and Starlings are numerous in the walnut trees along with a few GS Woodpeckers, Blackbirds, and one Short-toed Treecreeper; a cute Robin hops every now and then on a wall before disappearing behind it. Best of all was a flock of eight Long-tailed Tits including one that looked like a cross between the "europaeus" and "caudatus" subspecies.

Have up to two dozen goldfinches regulary at my garden now.
16 chaffinch
12 greenfinch
4 bluetits
songthrush
10 starlings
But for the first time ever in my life, I saw on christmas day a bull finch in the garden.
I am so chuffed.
I hope now to see more over the comming months.

Lots of Blackbirds,Chaffinches,Doves,Dunnocks,Sparrows and Starlings.A few Blue,Coal and Great Tits,Greenfinches,and 2 Robins one out front and one out back. :flyaway:

Got two new feeders for Christmas but still waiting for takers,hope they get used to them soon. :D :D

Attachments

• New Feeders boxing day.JPG
    New Feeders boxing day.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 98
  • New Feeders OUT.JPG
    New Feeders OUT.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 82
Mary Evelyn said:
Lots of Blackbirds,Chaffinches,Doves,Dunnocks,Sparrows and Starlings.A few Blue,Coal and Great Tits,Greenfinches,and 2 Robins one out front and one out back. :flyaway:

Got two new feeders for Christmas but still waiting for takers,hope they get used to them soon. :D :D

Today in my garden was very similar, plus several magpies, 2 carrion crows, a fleeting glimpse of a pair of goldfinches in my conifers!! and a brief unsuccessful visit from a sparrowhawk which emptied the garden immediately.

Love your new feeders, Santa must be on your side! However he did bring me a new type of fatball feeder that I haven't seen before sent from Germany. It's rugby ball shaped.
I always find it takes the birds a while to pluck up the courage to use a new, unfamiliar type of feeder so I'm sure you will get some takers in the next couple of weeks.

Tina

Mike Pennington said:
Normal variation. Most likely a first-year female.

Really? That's very interesting, I had no idea that chaffinches could have yellow wing bars.
It's a good job no-one asked me then! I would have said it was likely to be a female greenfinch.

Tina

jeff said:
Two new garden ticks for me on Xmas Eve:

Goldcrest (2)
Coal tit (1)

Congratulations! I guess you were as thrilled as I was to see the goldcrests. I *do* get coal tits here in my garden in Leicestershire but I hear them more often than I see them. They only occasionally come to the peanut feeder.

Tina

Christina said:
Congratulations! I guess you were as thrilled as I was to see the goldcrests. I *do* get coal tits here in my garden in Leicestershire but I hear them more often than I see them. They only occasionally come to the peanut feeder.

Tina

Never seen a goldcrest, but get coal tits daily. At the moment we are very lucky to get large numbers of Dunnocks at the moment, sometimes five at a time, poking about underneath the bird-table. Also two Robins that are currently in dispute over my garden, it's great fun to see them posturing and showing off their red breasts.

Hi Chris
How do you get the .. report bad post icon .. on you scren.

Keep throwing stones near the cat and it will pay less and less visits to your garden.

Today it's been very busy at the feeders, probably because of the frost and the bit of snow we've had.

We've had 3 siskins, which appeared in the garden for the first time on Christmas eve, about a dozen goldfinches, 8 greenfinches, blue tits, great tits, starlings, blackbirds, house sparrows, robins, dunnocks, collared doves, chaffinches and a wren.

Attachments

• PICT0057_edited.JPG
    PICT0057_edited.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Unusual

Hi All , Today we got the usual residents on the feeders , ie , blue,great,coal tits , greenfinch , chaffinch , goldfinch , nuthatch , sparrows , dunnocks , blackbirds , songthrush , jackdaws and magpies . But and here`s the surprise a first for the garden , we had a Buzzard feeding on some leftovers on the lawn . Regards Hugh

As well as my regulars: blue tits, great tits, dunnocks, starlings, collared doves and wood pigeons , the blackbirds have returned after a long absence. I was pleased to see a fleeting visit from a chaffinch in the week but was even more pleased to have visits to the feeder all day today from a male blackcap! That's a first for my tiny garden.
Jane :bounce:

Four Blackcaps today. First thing this morning there were three males side by side on the fallen sunflower hearts. Amazing. For a moment I thought my binoculars needed colimating. Then later on the regular female appeared. That's five different Blackcaps that have visited this month since for the first two weeks I was sometimes seeing two females together. The Goldcrest is still visiting now and again, but I haven't seen any Firecrest for two weeks now. :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back