• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's this Dove ? S. decaocto or roseogrisea ? in France (1 Viewer)

Jim LeNomenclatoriste

Je suis un mignon petit Traquet rubicole
France
Hi All

I shooted this dove that I found different from these congeners. I thought it was the African Collared-Dove (Streptopelia roseogrisea) because of its small size and its color, but after reflection, I have a doubt, it could only be the Eurasian Collared-Dove. Can someone confirm or not? Decaocto or roseogrisea ?

City: La Rochelle

Attachments

• IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 41
you can see undertail coverts and underwing on the second photo , utcs rather whitish and no visible black on the outer vanes of the tail feathers
so that is a S. roseogrisea I think (domestic variant in this case, also called S. "risoria")

See these UTCs and tail feathers in comparison
Upper two birds roseogrisea, lower bird decaocto

see also here:

and read this story

you can see undertail coverts and underwing on the second photo , utcs rather whitish and no visible black on the outer vanes of the tail feathers
so that is a S. roseogrisea I think (domestic variant in this case, also called S. "risoria")

See these UTCs and tail feathers in comparison
Upper two birds roseogrisea, lower bird decaocto

see also here:

and read this story
Thank you. So, that confirms what I assumed. When I saw it, I really thought it was different. It seemed to me smaller and with an isabelle pink shade. But it seems that the breeding Eurasian Collared Dove have a pink chest 🤔

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back