• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Whats tickable? (1 Viewer)

William Lewis

United Kingdom
I've seen a bit of discussion recently in rba alerts about what's tickable and what isn't for a life list etc so thought it might be interesting to see what everyone else feels about it.

I'm not a twitcher for super rares, I'll probably go out a couple or 3 times a year to see a bird that isn't in my local patch but then again these aren't generally what most would consider rare, just unusual to me.

I do tick off things in my filed guide though when I've seen them but generally I'll know from memory if I've seen something before even though I've been at it 30 odd years!

My rule tends to be it gets a tick if it's a wild bird that's only there by its own volition as such, not caught for ringing, display, rescued or anything to do with people per se!

It's a slightly grey area though I suppose, most red kites in England are here mainly due to releases from the re-introduction program and I think a lot of the first birds people will tick (a garden list as such) will only be there as there's bird feeders there to attract them.

What's your take or tick on it?

Mono

Hi!
Staff member
Supporter
Europe
The standard answer is "It's your list, tick what you want". The only issue is when you want to compare lists with other folk, then you both need to follow the same rules.

With introduced populations the usual tickabilty criterion is when they become self sustaining.

Users who are viewing this thread