• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear Cape Kaliakra, Bulgaria 24th May 2022 (1 Viewer)

frogstar

I'm not sure about this wheatear. We were photographing Pied Wheatear and Northern Wheatears and I can't decide whether this is a female Northern or Pied. Thanks for any help received.

7D2_6109x.jpg

Thank you Andrew, could you explain why please
It looks a fairly standard female Northern. The shape is quite plump and bulky compared to Pied, which are quite delicate birds. Pied should be more extensively dark on the upperparts without the obvious contrast between brownish wings and greyish mantle that can be seen here. This is roughly what a female Pied should look like at this time of year:

The Pied is duller, more dirty grey on upper chest, possibl y with streaking reaching mid chest. The back, nape and crown are also not as light grey as Northern, appearing also dirty greyish brown. The contrast between the uppers and the wings is not so obvious as in Northern.

EDIT: sorry Andrew, I cross posted with your reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back